• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Simple upgrade turns into nightmare

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WillD10

The NICs have eyes
My grandparent's computer got a little warm (cpu @80C) and became unstable even after the dust was removed, so I thought I'd upgrade to a phenom 550BE. The first off, the mobo didn't flash right and is now dead. So I ordered a new board, which means new ram too. Because of the hardware changes, windows XP needs reactivated, but it won't connect to the servers and the phone # is disconnected. I have been all over Microsoft's website and came up with nothing. Also, the bios loading time is slow, especially the usb controller. I have a slightly different model board by Asus and it doesn't take near that long.

To make a long story short, what advise does anyone have for:

A. How to reactivate windows (XP OEM version)
B. Speed up boot times

Phenom II 550BE
Asus M4A88T-V EVO/USB3
Kingston 4GB DDR3 1333

You DL new Mobo drivers? And by phone? Ack, gonna be a long long day, buy thanks for taking care of the folks.

Mebbe the classic, if it works, don't touch it scenario.

Maybe a cheapo Dell would work, sell the new parts at a minor loss.

Welcome to the Forum!:welcome: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=491697
Can you access the internet?
If not, did you install the drivers that came with the motherboard?
Did you re-install the os or just change out the mb/ram with the os on the hdd?
I'm not quite understanding how the phone # to microsoft's activation is disconnected.. It's the 800 number right? Or are they not supporting XP anymore?

Last edited:
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I built the original comp a few years ago, and left the stock heat sink on a phenom 9850. It collected dust, pushing idle temps to 80C. The mobo (Asus M3A78) is OK. I got the bios to reload after doing some research, and no it does not have blown capacitors, and yes I have seen them before. I do have doubts about the voltage regulators. They are small and have no heat sink, and a couple have some discolored edges, but the board still functions. At least I'm putting a lower draw processor in, but they might be the cause of the stability issues.

About the Activation problem, I think it should go away when I put the old board back in. I connected a new board, processor, and ram to the original HDD without reloading Windows. I installed all the correct drivers, including the NIC and got online, but the activation software could not find the server and the 888 # was disconnected. The only online support I could find was a Microsoft forum. I did hear in the past year that XP support will be phased out.

I will have to visit them again this week to do some more playing, but any functioning leftover parts combined with my stash of junk will build me a new desktop.

Back