• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 monitors, 1 xfx 6950

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yzfspecvr6

I know I have another thread going, But this is a different problem so im needing different answers and I don't want to get my other thread confused.

This is my set up,

22" samsung connect hdmi to hdmi
19" acer is vga cable but at the end I have a vga/dvi connnector to make it so its vga-dvi connected.
55" hdtv connected hdmi-dvi.

On my old 5750 I was able to have all 3 monitors plug in, but could only use 2 monitors at a time, extend or duplicate.

On my new video card 6950, 1 of the dvi slots does not recognize my acer that is dvi adapter, vga-vga.
My other dvi slots does, but not the 1? why is that?

So the way I have to plug in all 3 is, the dvi spot that does not reconize my acer, I have to plug in my 55" tv into that and because of that reason I get this
so my main monitor is my 22", with the way its connected now, I cant display duplicate monitors with my 22" and my 55" or even extend it. I get "unable to save settings". I think if I were to able to plug my acer into the spot I want it to plug into it " where it doesnt get reconize" and then my 55 into its spot, I could bounce around the way I want to and duplicate my 22" and my 55" or extend it. But I cant because I have to plug my 55" into the spot my acer isnt recognized.

What i need is, the dvi on my video card to recognize my acer monitor. So I can put my acer in that dvi spot, and the other spot can be my 55" tv so i can bounce back and fourth between my 22" and my 55", I really dont care to bounce back and fourth between my acer and my hdtv like its setup now.

I know this is a confusing thread Im not quite sure how else to explain it, So my main question is why does this dvi spot not reconize my acer for that is vga-vga with the dvi adapter so its really vga-dvi connected.

What I did on my old 5750 video card was, I would normally just display my 22" monitor, play game or whatever, and use my acer as a extend display to go on the internet, Then if i wanted to I could also dis connect my acer, display my 22" and extend it to my 55" to put on a movie or somthing.

but with this new video card its like I can only bounce from my 22" to my acer, or my acer and my 55", its like my 22" and my 55" cant communicate now, but it gives me the option to do so it just says unable to save settings. This is driving me nuts someone please help.

Last edited:
Have you tried a diff vga cable?

BTW, i believe to use all 3 monitors - one has to be connected by the DP.

And you need an Active DP adaptor.

Have you tried a diff vga cable?

BTW, i believe to use all 3 monitors - one has to be connected by the DP.

And you need an Active DP adaptor.

Well like i said it worked on my old 5750 video card, I think youonly need you need that adapter if you want all 3 monitors on at the same time, I always had 1 off.

The vga cable is fine, The acer monitor which is vga,-dvi, works on the other dvi slot, so my 55" tv is in that slot which the acer wouldnt work at. and because of that little issue, im not able to duplicate my 22" and my 55" together, im only able to dupelicate my 22 and acer, or my acer and my 55.

But i want to be able to have my 22 and my 55 communicate. Now Were my acer is plugged in, I could put my 55 there, and my 22 and 55 can communicate with each other, but that spare dvi slot my acer monitor wont be recognized there. and I would like to have all 3.

Like i said this worked on my 5750, just got my 6950 yesterday and its not working.

I just need to know why the 1 dvi spot wont reconize the vga-vga with the dvi adapter on it.
I know its not the vga because the monitor/cable works fine on the other dvi spot, Its jut the last bottom dvi port wont work with it, I know the port works because i can plug in other monitors to it and it works just fine.

Found the problem, the bottom dvi doesnt support vga - vga connections even with dvi adapters.

Is there any way around this? something I can download or I have to buy a new monitor?

The bottom dvi is probably a digital dvi only. The DVI port is like the **** of monitor connectors its been through 3 or 4 revisions and they are not all compatible with each other.

You will probably need a different monitor or a DP adapter to get this working the way you want.

You are right, the bottom dvi port is a digital dvi only.

So now my question is, if i have my 55" pluged into that digital dvi only, how come I cant duplicate my 55" thats plugged into that port, with another monitor that is plugged in hdmi to hdmi, Why can I not duplicate the 2?

Im able to duplicate my acer, which is vga to vga with a dvi adapter in the other dvi slot, I can duplicate that monitor or extend, with my 55" thats plugged into the digital port dvi.

but I cannot make it so my hdmi to hdmi monitor can communicate with the dvi digital port? I get cannot save display error... Any suggestions without having to buy somthing? I wouldnt think I would have to buy anything to get this working.

I mean im able to duplicate or extend my acer monitor thats vga to vga with dvi adapter to the 55" thats plugged into the digital only dvi port. But I need my hdmi to hdmi monitor to communicate with my 55" not the acer.

and if I do buy a DP adapter, I just plug this into my video card, then plug in a monitor into the dvi port? and windows will reconize it as another monitor?

Last edited:
will this work

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DP-Display-...265?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c209b821

? just take the dvi adapter off my vga to vga monitor, and use that and that will work on my mini display port on my 6950 video card? can someone confirm before I buy, Then I can move my 55" tv from the digital dvi port, to the regular port, and I should be able to communicate between all 3 monitors correct? I can decide what ones I want to duplicate or extend and not get the unable to save error?

Last edited:
Before buying anything try wiping out the drivers. If you still have problems try to setup the displays from CCC and not windows.

Before buying anything try wiping out the drivers. If you still have problems try to setup the displays from CCC and not windows.

Yeah I did that, when im in CCC it wont let my hdmi to hdmi monitor extend with my hdmi to dvi- digital dvi port. and I also just reinstall all new drivers when I put in the video card, Only had the card for a couple days.

Will it not let my hdmi to hdmi monitor and my hdmi to dvi-digital port communicate because its a digital port or somthing?

This is getting confusing Im thinking to much, and running all over the place im starting to confuse myself lol.

when im off work im going to mess with it more, I have a idea, I wonder, if my vga-vga with dvi adapter monitor isnt plugged in the dvi port, and I just leave my hdmi to hdmi plugged in, and then my hdmi to dvi-digital port plugged in if then they can communicate with each other.

Maybe when the vga-vga w/ dvi adapter monitor is plugged in, its throwing it off? Ill let you know how it goes.

Ok so without my vga - vga w/ dvi adapter plug in I unplug it.

So now I only have the hdmi to hdmi plug in, then my 55" tv thats hdmi to dvi plugged in the dvi-digital port on my video card, I can switch it so I can view my pc on my 55" only. But i cannot duplicate it with my hdm-to hdmi 22" monitor.

Any tips? or do i still need to buy that part? Is it because its digital or something, Or is something else wrong ? man this is driving me insane... I love this video card but man this 1 little thing is annoying the hell out of me, I cant use my monitors like im use to, and like doing because of this. So if I get that part, and plug my vga monitor into it, can I use my 22" hdmi - hdmi , and extend desktop with the vga monitor with that display adapter? get a mini display adapter to vga Active right?

Last edited:
Try duplicating by pressing the windows key + p. Worth a shot, if you want to take it to extremes then reinstall windows, but first I would do the driver sweeper method in safe mode if you haven't all ready.

I dont think that is gonna work, I really just dont think, the hdmi port can communicate witht he dvi digital port.

can someone else confirm this before I start tearing m computer up? Yeah I tired the windows key and P..

Can someone truely confirm that somthing is just wired in my computer? and they should be able to communicate? Or the 6950, wont allow the hdmi port to communicate with the dvi-digital port?

Really dont want to reinstall windows, and im not to sure on how to do a driver sweeper in safe mode, never heard of driver sweeper before.

Or someone confirm, What i need to buy for my mini display port on my 6950 like I said in previous post, I asked if that was the correct one can someone confirm so I can just buy it, and then in theory I should be able to communicate with all 3 monitors and decide what ones I want to duplicate or extend right?

I'm pretty sure Eyefinity is needed to enable three monitors at once.

But yeah, just switch the HDTV to the Displayport and leave the Acer in the DVI that it works in, I think it'll be fine.

Never done eyefinity before, I really dont care to have all 3 on at the same time, just as long as I can change between 2 monitors at 1 time, and choose whatever monitor I want.

But if I do have 3 monitors on at 1 time, Ill be able to extend them right and do what i want? i dont have them to all become 1 monitor where like someone plays a game on 3 monitors and it shows all 3 for 1 game and they are not duplicated.

Hey guys, sorry for the huge bump (damn near 1 year!) but I just have a simple question, I have the same card, at least the model (made by MSI) 2gb card.

I'm moving to my new apartment and I decided that I'm sick of having my T.V. and PS3 on one side of the room and my computer system on the other side.

I'd like to combine them. In order for me to accomplish this, I'm facing the same little issue where I will need what appears to be an Active (HDPC?) Mini Display port to HDMI adapter in order to include my T.V. with the other two HDTVs.

As of right now my setup is two 22" HDTVs attached via HDMI to DVI adapter in both DVI ports. It looks like the bottom DVI port is shared with the HDMI port on the card, thus you can't have two screens on these ports.

The third HDTV only has HDMI x2 and VGA, not even DVI. I'd like to keep them all attached via HDMI cables (at least from the T.V.s before they attach to an adapter).

So with that said, would a Mini DP to HDMI adapter work? I'm well aware that it has to be active not passive apparently (what the heck was the point of MSI giving me an adapter with the card in the first place?

This is the card to be specific:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127575

The cable is described as, "Mini displayport to displayport adapter" It looks like a modified HDMI on the female end (not the mini port end)

I wanted to confirm that this is in fact the adapter I need in order to attach my T.V. directly to the adapter via HDMI:

http://www.dinosaurcabels.com/Mini-DISPLAYPORT-TO-HDMI-HDPC-ACTIVE-NEW-T2M4F01030-R.htm

Back