• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gentleman, Ladies, Gurus, I come to you with questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

craigeX

Hi All,

Concern: I am upgrading components (or modules) within my computer, and I am concerned that I will be pushing my current power supply beyond its capabilities. I would like to ask you, if my upgrades will require a new power supply, as I would prefer not to purchase a new one if I do not have to. I would also hate to purchase my upgrades only to find out that a lack of power supply may damage the new components or the power supply itself -- if that is possible.

Current System Configuration:
*PowerSupply: Antec 650Watt Model: EA-650
Motherboard: AMD 790GX Model: GA-MA790GP-UD4H Supporting AM2/AM2+/AM3 Socket Architectures.
Processor: AMD Athlon 7850 Black Edition Dual Core @ 2.81 GHz Stock
Memory: 8GB DDR2 800Mhz Dual Channel (5-5-5-18)
Video Card: XFX ATi 5770 1GB w/ DX11​
Proposed System Modifications:
Proposed Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition AM3 @ 3.2Ghz
Proposed Video Card: MSI Twin Frozr II GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16​

Question:
  1. Will these proposed system additions necessitate new a power supply with a Wattage greater than my current Antec 650W?

Best Regards,

-Craig

Last edited:
Thanks for answering my question about the wattage on the current and proposed.

Just purchased the CPU, waiting till next Friday to drop the cash on the GPU.

Back