• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's a good heatsink for OC'ing a i5 2500k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh say between 50 and 100. but i don't need a massive OC somewhere over the 4 mark would be fine

Thanks

The hyper 212+ is an AMAZING heat sink, hands down. If you have the ability to change the fan out to a delta or something else later on down the line, or do a push pull, its even better.

for value and killer cooling the corsair a70 is hard to beat, and can be had at newegg for $43 american and get a $15 rebate to boot. makes final cost $28

Hyper 212 EVO is the newer one makes it easer to apply thermal paste, it's a flat surface.

With 1.45vcore and stock hyper212+ fan I am not even seeing 75c load in LinX. This is a great hsf and with a delta will be able to bench 1.5, if not 1.55vcore with the window open ;)

Go the Hyper 212 Evo for a good budget heatsink. You don't really need anything fancy for a 2500K. It outputs less heat than a 2600K due to the lack of HT, and a lot of people still run a 2600K with a Hyper 212+ at 4.5 ghz stable with good temps. So with some good paste; and a solid mount, you could easily get 4.5ghz with your 2500K stable 24/7 keeping temps in check with said heatsink.

Remember Sandy Bridge is less about the temp than the CPU's before it (doesn't get nearly as hot as my i7 930 at the same voltage I can tell you that! lol).

dont underestimate the heat output of the sandy bridge cpu's, if you get close to 5ghz it will start throwing heat out like any other cpu and will get rather difficult to manage.
I say figure out how far you want to go with your oc and choose your hsf from there, you dont have to overspend. Just make sure that you dont underspend for what you need.

Well like I said... 4.5. 4.2-4.5 is a solid manageable range for 24/7. Naturally heading toward 5 is going to output more heat and the voltage to mhz gain diminishes quite quickly... I'm merely saying in comparison to say bloomfield. They run a lot cooler. Try running my cpu at 4.5 and see how we go... On air lol.

Back