• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me identify ths pentium

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flounder43

Senior Lawyer-clocker
I just got a complete system, sans hard drive, for free...I took off the HSF and it is a Pentium. How so I tell what speed it is?

It says this:
A80502120 SY062
ICOMP 2 #=100
86460023-1422
INTEL '92 '93

Is this a 100?

Also, the multi is not locked on pentiums, right? I am an AMD person, so I appreciate the help.

tia,
flounder43

Cool, looks to be a 120...

The bus is 60, so I guess my first move would be to try 66, or should I bump the multiplier? It is an ancient AT mobo, Biostar, I think. I want to get it up high enough so it can fold...

flounder43 said:
Cool, looks to be a 120...

The bus is 60, so I guess my first move would be to try 66, or should I bump the multiplier? It is an ancient AT mobo, Biostar, I think. I want to get it up high enough so it can fold...

heh, it will prob take days for that sucker to do a WU. But, more power to ya!

Do the bus to 66 first (if that is even an option) then bump the multi. If there is one thing you know from OC'ing AMD's it is: 'FSB speed rules!'

Cool, I will give it a try....when I get a keyboard adapter! LOL, this thing has one of those ancient BIG keyboard plugs on it...

Even my old 486 had a ps2 keyboard plug.

This thing is clean, though, not bad for free.

Do these pentiums oc ok? how important is cooling? This has a cheesy HSF on it, so it won't be bare...

I'm not trying to poach, just pointing out that if there's a speed minimum for folding there isn't one for SETI. My P1 120@133 is crunching it's first wu as I type. I'm looking at 97 hours to finish.

Those older Pentium classics are fairly good overclockers. They are really what started making overclocking popular. Raising the FSB to 66 is a no brainer. The P-120 is really a P-133 in disguise and will run at a stable 66 FSB with no cooling or voltage changes just by merely moving a jumper

Several years ago, I overclocked my P-120 computer at the office were I work and it ran at a rock stable 133 for months until I got it replaced with a newer P-II 266. Overclocking beyond 133 is attainable, but often you need better cooling and a slight voltage increase. If that mobo does not aloow voltage changes, that limits you a bit.

Next check to see if you have a 75 FSB option on that mobo. Lots of socket 7 mobos have a 75 FSB setting because some Cyrix CPUs ran default at this setting. Running a P-120 at 2X75 FSB would equal 150 MHz. A worthy overclock for that lowly P-120 and a noticeable difference in performance.

If there is no 75 setting or if you want to try a little higher yet, and if you have good cooling (some socket 370/socket A coolers will fit on a socker 7), then the next step is 2.5X66=166 MHz. To go higher than that will require an exceptional CPU, really good cooling, a bit of luck, and probably more than default voltage.

Last edited:
Yep, that's my point, the Pentiums are good overclockers, but the 233 MMX is a newer and improved core (stepping) compared to the older P-120, so the MMX CPUs wil "typically" overclock higher. I have not heard of many P-120 going higher than 166, but I like being proven wrong... :)

i oced mine to 180:) , shortly after, a PII233 came into possession, so i simply threw it away...it was taking up lots of space in my already little room.

tainice said:
i oced mine to 180:) , shortly after, a PII233 came into possession, so i simply threw it away...it was taking up lots of space in my already little room.

I was just thinking 150 is a possibility, 180 with really good cooling and some extra voltage... 150 might work without either though ;) ... try a 75 bus, or change the multiplier jumper.

I have a P120@133 sitting on my desk folding right now. It has been folding 24/7 since Folding2 came out and to date it has successfuly completed 18 WUs. I think that's about one a week.

nihili

120 now at 166

Update...

I finally got a HD into this thing. No easy task I might add, it wouldn't recognize a new, big HD no matter what I tried. Anyway, got a small one it could handle.

Right now, with just the cheesy HSF that came with it, I am at 166, and running smooth. This mobo really bites, no 75 multiplier. 200 is the top speed possible, I think. I haven't tried it yet, though.

Anyway, this is my second ghetto Intel system, the other is a P. Pro 200@233.

I think I will put it on folding duty tomorrow.

Don't be too upset at the motherboard, that cpu'll never hit 200 anyway. I'm stunned you got it to 166 with stock cooler. Mine's tapped out at 133 with the sink from a K6-2 on top.

Back