• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 ReadyBoost

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xtreme Barton

anyone got anything nice to say about it compared to vista or non-use of it ?

just plugged a couple usb drives in i had laying on my desk ..happened to format one and seen readyboost tab ...been a while since i ever clicked on it so i thought id give windows 7 a shot

Since turning to SSD, readyboost and Intel's SRT is not necessary. SSD are that fast.

So since you gave it a shot. What was the result? Did it make the computing experience noticeably faster?

I do know that if you have more than 4GB of ram you will most likely not notice any difference at all using "Readybost".

And if you think Readybost on "7" is cool you should see the memory/processor management that will be in "Windows 8" hehe

Attachments

• Windows_8_Memory_power_management.PNG
    Windows_8_Memory_power_management.PNG
    27.3 KB · Views: 111
no good so far .. but may be my install ..something doesnt seem right ..no snap web browser locks up .. from what i read im suppose to give it time to setup readyboost cache properly .. not if if my os is causing it or my USB 2.0 isnt working faster than my hard drive

readyboost is there for a reason that it shouldn't be necessary for. Low Memory environments. For someone with a proper amount of RAM (1gb or more for 32bit, 2gb or more for 64), then you really won't notice anything. For those with under that, you WILL notice an improvement.

I do know that if you have more than 4GB of ram you will most likely not notice any difference at all using "Readybost".

And if you think Readybost on "7" is cool you should see the memory/processor management that will be in "Windows 8" hehe
Exactly. Readyboost is for systems with little ram. You wont notice a thing likely with over 2GB.

no good so far .. but may be my install ..something doesnt seem right ..no snap web browser locks up .. from what i read im suppose to give it time to setup readyboost cache properly .. not if if my os is causing it or my USB 2.0 isnt working faster than my hard drive
USB2 isnt faster than your HDD...

USB2 isnt faster than your HDD...

I beg to differ. Until recently, my old system was running an old SATA-150 drive. I could boot faster, write faster, and read faster from the USB2 thumbdrives I had laying around.

However, if you are still running a system with that old of a HD, you are better off getting a faster HD and a tad more RAM than relying on readyboost.

Yes, sorry for not qualifying my statement. Any relatively new drive will easily out class a USB drive as far as transfer speeds.

as i thought my windows install was corrupt .. and now my HD is toast .. new HD brought me back to an enjoyable state of mind (kinda :D) .. and i havent attempted to try readyboost again ... im running win7 64-bit with only 1gb on my laptop .. seems to be just fine for what i do .. i was thinking about installing visual studio for school work and messing around .. maybe ill venture back if im in need of a performance boost .. laptop is pretty old so instead of getting more memory i think ill ride it out till i decide to go new again

thanks fella's for your input/output :D

Back