• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I Need To Upgrade? (Quick Question)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mean_dm

Before I am told to go to a PSU calculator, I've done that, I just want to reaffirm the calculated wattage with a few extra details that I cannot input into said calculator.

The calculator (with the specs I used) calculated a 424W minimum, 474W recommendation.

My Specs (as of right now)

• MOBO: EP45-UD3P
  • CPU: E8400 Wolfdale
  • RAM: 4x 1GB Corsair XMS
  • GPU: 1x 460 GTX MSI Cyclone 1GB
  • PSU: Corsair VX 550W

Additional info about my spec: I've got 3x 120mm fans, 1 HD @ 7200 RPM, 1x DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive, and at most I might use 8 USB devices (Keyboard/Mouse included)

I was thinking about shelling out a little cash for an extra 460 GTX 1GB, but I am a little worried about my wattage limitations. From the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator, I think I can manage the calculated wattage... But I will undoubtedly want to OC my system a bit. I don't need to OC much, I'm not looking to join OC'ing competitions :D.

This is what I input:

• CPU: 1 Physical CPU - E8400 Wolfdale @3.00Ghz/1.2V
  • RAM: 4x1GB sticks of DDR2
  • GPU: 2x 460 GTX 1GB
  • USB: 8 Devices
  • Fans: 6x 120mm

I listed 6x 120mm fans as I am also considering a new case for better cooling.

So, what do you guys think? Will I need to upgrade my PSU if I plan on OC'ing two 460 1GB GTX cards in SLI? Possibly the CPU to 3.6Ghz as well?

Thanks for your time.

With an additional 460 GTX you might be pushing that 550w almost to the limit. Also by overclocking the cpu you may experience a possible reboot/bsod.

I, personally, like to have a little more power than I need as a safety precaution :D.

I think your best bet is to upgrade the psu first before any more upgrades. Another thing to keep in mind is any other future upgrades.

Are you going to keep that 775 longer?
Are you planning on going i5/i7 anytime soon?
Are you looking into higher end video card?

These are things to consider when buying/upgrading to a new psu. Look at it this way: Buying a new psu that will handle future upgrades will save you alot in the end :cool:

Thanks for the help, I'll take your advice and snag a higher wattage PSU.

You SHOULD be fine with a 550... as long as its in good shape. I run an OC'd i5 with dual 6870's on 660... and have no problems.

I might upgrade the PSU if I can save enough money on the other parts... I'm not quite going the SLI route just yet... Not unless I can snag another gpu for 120$...

Now I've got a question... I've been reading and now I am a bit intimidated in choosing a PSU, I enjoyed Corsair, it's been fine without a single hiccup... only problem is that I've got to shell out a little more cash for them.

I was wondering if I could try a different brand and save a bit of money. I was looking at the recommended PSUs and wanting this build to be as future ready as I can make it, I was wanting to snag an 850W, which seemed to me my price range. Then I started looking at the prices on the recommended PSU's under 850W (Modular) and started to cry a little inside. I see other PSUs got for 80$ cheaper, mind you the same brand, not the same PSU. Or perhaps the brand is in one listing for a different wattage, but not another.

About 120$ is the max I want to spend on a PSU. I'd like to have an 850W, but I'm not entirely sure I'd need the extra 100W over a 750W PSU. I will be upgrading to IB when it comes out, and will (at some point) SLI my 460s... and I'd definitely like to OC them both. I also don't want to have to buy another PSU when I might upgrade from THAT a few years later. Is that at all reasonable?

I might upgrade the PSU if I can save enough money on the other parts... I'm not quite going the SLI route just yet... Not unless I can snag another gpu for 120$...

Now I've got a question... I've been reading and now I am a bit intimidated in choosing a PSU, I enjoyed Corsair, it's been fine without a single hiccup... only problem is that I've got to shell out a little more cash for them.

I was wondering if I could try a different brand and save a bit of money. I was looking at the recommended PSUs and wanting this build to be as future ready as I can make it, I was wanting to snag an 850W, which seemed to me my price range. Then I started looking at the prices on the recommended PSU's under 850W (Modular) and started to cry a little inside. I see other PSUs got for 80$ cheaper, mind you the same brand, not the same PSU. Or perhaps the brand is in one listing for a different wattage, but not another.

About 120$ is the max I want to spend on a PSU. I'd like to have an 850W, but I'm not entirely sure I'd need the extra 100W over a 750W PSU. I will be upgrading to IB when it comes out, and will (at some point) SLI my 460s... and I'd definitely like to OC them both. I also don't want to have to buy another PSU when I might upgrade from THAT a few years later. Is that at all reasonable?

Doesn't have to be a Corsair at all. Our sticky for recommened power supplies is here:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589708

Anything on that list is a quality unit. Shop them around and get all you can for your money. Good sales are frequent. More than you need is not an issue if the price is right. That list is "The Best of the Best" but there are also good units not on that list. Antec has a few, some XFX models. Choices are endless if you shop them.

Last edited:
I'll be getting a Thor V2 case, should I even worry about the PSU being Modular?

Thor V2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147053

Top rate power supply recommendation by Knufire!

Modular Rule of Thumb (My opinion)

1. If you're a big single GPU user, it's nice to get rid of the extra cables.

2. If you're dual GPU user, it won't matter, you'll use almost all of the big cables anyhow.

I like the modular and that's all I ever buy but they cost a little more.

Ahh, Yeah, I'll be looking to SLI my GPU later on... Thanks for that! I'll start shopping around for a non-modular PSU. Not like the case I picked out has a full side window or anything, haha. Thanks for the help. I'll look around a bit, but the XFX looks like a good deal. Is there that big of a difference between the Bronze/Silver/Gold certified PSUs to warrant the price jump between them?

I'll look around a bit, but the XFX looks like a good deal. Is there that big of a difference between the Bronze/Silver/Gold certified PSUs to warrant the price jump between them?

Unless you have a professional test machine like our Oklahoma Wolf uses, you won't know the difference if you buy from our sticky list.

I probably would. I ran a single 460 on a 430Wpsu and it was barely stable(ie still crashed sometime) and its a high quality unit. I now have SLI 460s and am running a 750w(overkill BUT I was aiming for 470/570sli). I treat my PSU like I treat my amps(also a DJ) Id rather my amp(PSU) have more power than my speaker(computer) needs and dial it back, you get better power efficiency below the ratings AND in a crazy situation where the system demands extra power you still have enough to prevent damage to the system.

Back