• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help building my daughter a gaming machine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jdf1st

Hi, I've not posted here yet, and I've got a lot of knowledge on older computers as well as IT experience. I am trying to build my daughter a computer based on a processor and video card that a friend gave me for her. I just ordered a mobile on ebay and am not sure if I should cancel and maybe order a different one? She wants to play fortnite, minecraft and some others.

MOBO > eBay order- GA970A-DS3P
CPU & Cooler > CPU- adx450wfk32gm athlon II X3 450 3.2 Ghz triple core 1.5MB, no cooler yet
MEMORY > none yet
POWER SUPPLY > none yet.
VIDEO CARD > sapphire pulse rx 580 8gb or GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 TI 4gb
HDDs/Optical drives > none yet, ssd preferred
SOUND DEVICE > Onboard or Add-in? None yet
USB > Usb Devices Plugged to Mobo? None yet
O/S > Win10 pro
Case > Brand/Model/Fans Installed? None yet
Budget- $3-600

If you have a $600 budget I would ditch trying to build something off of that CPU, either of those GPU's are fine for those games at 1080P so you should be fine there. Will be tight to get it all for $600 but buying a motherboard and ram for that CPU would be a waste of money IMO.

Grab Ryzen 3600 and a cheap B550 motherboard as a starting place.

So the only problem is I really need to keep closer to the 300$ range, and she's only 13 and I want to start her off with something a little lower end and see how it goes, and I might be wrong that processor might be a fx 6 core, I'm almost home and I can double check

So yes I was wrong, it is a amd fx fd6300wmw6khk AMD FX-6300 Black Edition 3.5Ghz FSB-2600Mhz

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

If you have a $600 budget I would ditch trying to build something off of that CPU, either of those GPU's are fine for those games at 1080P so you should be fine there. Will be tight to get it all for $600 but buying a motherboard and ram for that CPU would be a waste of money IMO.

Grab Ryzen 3600 and a cheap B550 motherboard as a starting place.

So yes I was wrong, it is a amd fx fd6300wmw6khk AMD FX-6300 Black Edition 3.5Ghz FSB-2600Mhz

Unfortunately, prices are way up for many PC components right now because of COVID-related demand and production issues. I agree with others that the Rx580 video card is a good choice for the stated purpose and budget but the FX-6300 and 970 chipset motherboard just won't cut it for many modern games.

Search Craigslist for an older workstation PC. I picked up a Dell T3500 with W3550 Xeon (4 cores), 1Gb RAM, no HHD, and basic GPU. I bought a X5650 Xeon (6cores) some DDR3, $20 SSD and swapped in my RX570 and it did output to 4k with my HDTV while playing Fortnite. I had to turn down some settings but it was playing and 4k. It definitely would be a great 1080p rig. All that for about $200, that includes everything.

HP and Dell have some real good workstations surplussing right now. I even see DDR4 systems at a great price. Do a little bit of research and get a great foundation.

So the only problem is I really need to keep closer to the 300$ range, and she's only 13 and I want to start her off with something a little lower end and see how it goes, and I might be wrong that processor might be a fx 6 core, I'm almost home and I can double check

Get a 6 core/12 thread i5-10400 for $150 at Microcenter and a $75 B460 motherboard from Newegg with $65 set of 2x8GB DDR4 RAM. So around $300 total.

At my Microcenter you could get the i5-10400 with an H410 mATX motherboard and 16GB DDR4 for as low as $250 plus tax. But stock is different at different stores and while you can order online you must pickup in store. Newegg recently had the i5-10400 for $160 but raised the price, but it will come back down.

Last edited:
Back