• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building My Second Gaming Rig - I need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hamtran

Registered
UPDATE AND COMPLETED BUILD:

View attachment 204522
View attachment 204761View attachment 204762View attachment 204763

ORIGINAL:

Hello everybody, thanks to the wonderful folks on this forum - I was able to build my first gaming PC back in 2012 (link: https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/704002-Building-My-First-Gaming-Rig-I-need-help).

Almost seven years later, I am ready to upgrade and join the modern world. My budget is in the ballpark of $2500(ish) and I've done some research into which parts to buy according to that price range. My goal is to configure a gaming PC that can run modern games (incl. Fortnite, Apex Legends, BO4) at 1080p* @ 144hz/144+fps with high-maxed settings. I also intend to stream on twitch using this PC as well - My current understanding is that there are limitations in using a single PC setup as opposed to a 2-PC setup and that I may have to lower settings and output either at 720p or 900p. Since I don't want to shell out an additional grand or two on a dedicated streaming PC at least for now, I'm hoping this config will suffice - it will definitely be an improvement over my current GTX670/3570K setup lol!

Here is a draft list of parts that I've put together to meet this budget (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4hsPq4):

MyCustomBuild.PNG

I have a few questions regarding this build:
  1. Are all the parts compatible? (i.e., will the CPU cooler properly mount to the H500 case, will the 2080 fit inside, etc.?)
  2. Are there better versions of the same parts that I could swap in for similar or even better performance?
  3. Are there different parts that I should consider to meet my goal?
  4. Is there anything else I should/need to know prior to building?

Again, thank you all who contribute to this forum again for helping me out in my last thread - it resulted in years of fun gameplay experiences with BF3, Overwatch, CSGO, etc.

Last edited:
1. Look at the case specifications and see how large of a cooler and GPU it fits.
2. Parts list looks good overall. Maybe get a 144hz monitor instead of 240....you arent driving 240 fps no matter what, so why bother? You can get a 1080p ips 144hz panel for 350.
3. You may be able to save money and go Ryzen 2700x and x470 for similar performance.

1. Look at the case specifications and see how large of a cooler and GPU it fits.
2. Parts list looks good overall. Maybe get a 144hz monitor instead of 240....you arent driving 240 fps no matter what, so why bother? You can get a 1080p ips 144hz panel for 350.
3. You may be able to save money and go Ryzen 2700x and x470 for similar performance.

Thanks for the reply.

1. Will do, seems like it will work out
2. I’ve been contemplating which monitor to get exactly / what is achievable with a 9900K + 2080 setup... after searching around I think I’m going to aim instead for a 27” 1440p 144 or 165Hz monitor. Is it possible with this single PC config to run games like Apex/Fortnite at high-maxed settings at 1440p 144fps while streaming from OBS 900p60fps?

I see you have a CLC for cooling.. That puppy can draw nearly 170w where it looks like your previous CPU tops out under 140w. I don't know a lot about Intel boards, but I believe the Prime series tends to be a mid range or entry range product, I would just check out carefully if the VRM can comfortably power the CPU, I only count 9 chokes but I'm not familiar with the specifics of the board or the CPUs needs. Just something I would advise doing further research on.

From what research i have done spend a bit more on your cpu cooler. I have the ml240l on my 6700k and it is sufficient but not good. The corsair h110i is a step up as is the better cooler master aios. Also the cm aio fans do not do rainbow rgb if that matters to you.

The h500 case has room for up to a 280mm radiator but only in the front. So you are going to supply air into your case through the radiator. I am new to this stuff but i would think it is better to exhaust your case through a radiator. It is a good looking case though.

That 9900k/2080 build is the stuff dreams are made of though :clap:

Last edited:
From what research i have done spend a bit more on your cpu cooler. I have the ml240l on my 6700k and it is sufficient but not good. The corsair h110i is a step up as is the better cooler master aios. Also the cm aio fans do not do rainbow rgb if that matters to you.

The h500 case has room for up to a 280mm radiator but only in the front. So you are going to supply air into your case through the radiator. I am new to this stuff but i would think it is better to exhaust your case through a radiator. It is a good looking case though.

That 9900k/2080 build is the stuff dreams are made of though :clap:
Obviously the cooler the intake air the better for the CPU... the warmed air will go through the case, indeed. Typically, this isn't an issue however. With exhausting through a rad, the CPU temp will be a bit higher as the rad is using case warmed air for it. Most prefer cooler CPU temps with good airflow inside the case.

Pulled the trigger boys, will update when I build the beast. Thank you all for your suggestions and feedback. :)

MySecondRig.PNG

overclockers.com :D (iRun mine stock too when not in important use)

She came out great! Looks like a medicine cabinet with goodies packed inside.

I mean I'm just saying, it's nice to let things settle in, get everything setup, make sure everything is stable. Then you can start putting the screws to it. Let the silicon enjoy life for a few days before making it suffer!

Back