• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Acceptable Temps for FX 8120

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

motordog1

I just put together a system with an 8120, Asus 880 chipset MB and a Coolmaster Hyper 212 Evo air cooler. I'm getting to 56c with Prime 95 at the default settings and 62c when overclocking using the Asus Turbo auto overclock, 15.5 x 232 . I have just one fan on the Hyper 212 and used the plastic spatula method to put as thin a layer of thermal paste on the cpu as I could. I was hoping for much lower temps, I understand that the max temp should not exceed 61c.

Does it take some time days or weeks for things to break in or is this normal for this air cooler. Reading the reviews it seems that many people are reporting good results with this same cooler.

To be brutally honest there is not a huge 'raft' of information yet about the FX series processor since it did not come on as a huge boost for performance in single threaded applications.

During search after search on the internet forums where there are some showing load temps...they are higher than we were used to with PH 2 processor. The Hyper 212+ has been recommended over and over again previous to the release of the FX series. Now it is just not going to really be enough when really pushing an FX processor. If air cooling were going to be 'plenty' I doubt AMD would have gone to the trouble of at some point releasing a W/C setup for their FX processors. I say that because I doubt they sell many at $100.00 estimated price and putting kits like that together costs both time and money.

In closing it seems you are just about at the recommended limit when overclocked when you are hitting 62C. I don't know for sure if I would like that for 24/7, BUT you will not have the cpu under that load 24/7 either. So you are likely just about at the limit for overclock without more cooling.

Back