• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R6970 Power Connections

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LegolasElf

Gentlemen,

Yet another completely n00b question before my upcoming building of my new PC later this week. I apologize for my illiteracy. I have purchased the MSI R6970 and there is one thing about the power connections. I notice that it has two power connections. I am looking to game with it right out of the box but not to overclock it anytime soon. How does having one PCIe power plug connected to it differ from having both PCIe plugs plugged into the card? Should I do it right away or will one be fine for the time being until i start overclocking? I have the CORSAIR Enthusiast Series 850Watt PSU coming in.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You will need both for the card to run. So both immediately or no video and loud beeping!

You will need both for the card to run. So both immediately or no video and loud beeping!

I experienced this for the first time the other night...forgot to plug those pcie power cables in upon re-installation...I thought a nuclear meltdown was happening. Way to scare me to death AMD.

Back