• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you SLI Different cards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

McGrace

Hi guys,

I understand there is probably an answer for this in several places already here. I am only asking without the super ten hour search, reading, and understanding session because of a Black Friday deal.

I have nVidia GT 430 already, and wonder if I get another one from another brand if I can still SLI them. Most importantly, I want to have more outputs for HDMI available.

Thanks!

As long as they are the same core and memory quantity, then it will be fine. Brands don't matter.

Sorry, to clarify, even if I can't SLI can I use a second video card to throw on extra monitors?

(I again apologize if this wastes your time and appreciate any help.)

Yes, if you aren't running them in SLi, it does not matter. I would suggest staying with an nVidia card, though. Adding ATI into the mix would not be fun.

Yes having another card will allow more monitors without SLI. SLI is a headache just a fair warning(my personal experience). Brand doesnt matter as long as its the same GPU and the same amount of Vram your set!

GL HF.

Dang. I have a MSI 870A-G54 motherboard which apparently does not allow SLI.

Frick. Anyone know if you can do two nVidia cards and just have multiple monitors?

I posted this after the last two replies. I think you just answered my question. Gettin the card, it's only 20 bucks so heck yah.

You can put as many cards into your system as you have available PCIe slots for them. You'll be able to use all available display outputs. This is regardless of motherboard or video card type, brand, or certification. As others have said, stay with one GPU brand, mixing AMD and nVidia in the same system isn't fun.

The only thing you won't be able to do is tie them together in SLi. Since it's a cheap, slow card that you're buying, that won't matter to you anyway.

Yeah, I don't game any more (time issue :( ). I just can use the extra monitors for writing software. I am using several tools at once, and popping between screens is getting old... especially since I have three extra monitors sitting around. Seems like a no brainer to spend the 20 bucks and just use them.

Back