• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What should I do? Watercool Video card inline with cpu or air cool it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EclipseJP

I have a Radeon 8500 and I have one of those GF3 water coolers from Overclockers hideout which I have to use thermal compound to mount it. I have the Heatseeker Pro which is the Lian Li case with a Z4 watercooling kit in it. I only have the stock radiator in it which I kind of want that way cause it looks clean with nothing sticking out of the case.

So my question is would it be better if I just put a whole bunch of fans to it with a good GPU cooler or would it be better to just keep it inline with the water cooler? I want the maximum cooling without having to buy a bigger radiator. Or is it the memory that only really needs to be cooled to the max? Please help me because I have been debating about this for a while now. I have the gpu waterblock inline with the cpu already just havent put it on yet. And its such a pain in the but when I want to take out my video card when its apoxied on. Maybe I should just move to Invidia so I can just screw the waterblock on. O well please help.

Well, if your getting decent temps from the kit now, it wouldn't hurt too much to add the GPU to the system. If your loaded temps are running up in the mid 40'sC, then I'd say you've hit the end of the radiator's capacity already.

Yeah, adding water to stuff does make it harder to swap things around, but really how much do you take your computer apart? Or how cheap would it be to buy a new block should you replace the video card?
One more thing, have you thought about making a type of c-clamp to hold the gpu block on? Kindof ugly maybe, but could be just the thing with your dilema.

Diggr, try this on, 3/4" plate with 1/2" caps soldered on. Attach these to the vid ram and run a "regular" (cheap) vid block. With three outlets off the top of my block I could run one line to the ram and run them in parallel exiting to the return coupling. I could run another off the block to the gpu and return it to the coupling. Temp should still be below ambient as return temp right now is 3.6c (23.6/20.0) below ambient after the processor. Think this might really help (getting 260/550-gf3 ti200) on the Gainward card now with stock cooling. This should still allow the flow to stay up while cooling all components.

Formatted the hard drive before the dsl install. Remember in the homemade water blocks, the really large one? 3.5"x4". I used three inlets and three outlets. I have some 3/4"x1/8" inch stock and was thinking of making water sinks for the vid ram by soldering on 1/2" copper end caps. Then running one of the cpu waterblock lines to the vid ram and out to the juncture where the the three lines meet up outside of the case. I could take another line off of the cpu waterblock and run that to the gpu and then out to the junction. This should give rather cool water to both the gpu and the vid ram. There would still be one line coming off the cpu water block going directly to the outside of the case to the junction. Maybe I ought to use that one to cool the ddr or northbridge.

Back