• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Papst Fans FYI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pixelstick

Registered
After much time spent into looking for and pricing Papst fans, I finally found a place to get them (and there aren't very many here in the U.S.)...

www.progressiveimage.com

From what I gathered a company called EBM is the Papst distributor for the U.S. and they don't usually sell them to individuals, and if they do you'll be paying the suggested retail. Progressive Image gives a better price. I got these for $12.95 each. They are 8412NGH 43CFM 26Db. Not too shabby. They don't have the high pitch wines some 80mm fans have with this CFM.

As an aside... from talking to a few places that sell Papst fans I gathered that they only receive fans when they have orders for them. I was told that this was due to the fact that there are at least a few variations of each model, therefore the resellers don't usually keep a stock of them. I lucked out finding these babies! The other models I was looking at were going to take until around April to come in from Germany, and they had already ordered the shipment!!! Also, I got the impression that not too many people have had called Progressive Image for these fans for case cooling. I think the calls they get are mainly for industry cooling applications.

So, I was wondering... anyone else had any experience like this when searching for Papst fans???

:beer:

Ytp

stool said:
Allied Electronics has at least a couple, if not more, pages of Pabst fans. I have also found them at various times at All Electronics .

I actually got Allied Electronics to send me a catalog - a lot of neat stuff. I priced the fans with them but Progressive Image was still way cheaper. Never heard of All Electronics. I'll definitely add them to my list of vendors.
:)

I recently met with an EBM / Papst rep. related to my work ... please send me a direct e-mail and I can try to hook you up with him. Sorry forum, I am not able to give that info out for general distribution until I clear it with him ... do contact me if you have a VERY specific need and I will try to oblige! Thanks for your understanding:)

Koooler King

In my search for the most quiet case fan for my computer I found that Papst fans are supposed to be really quiet. The only place I could find to buy them was here. They were out of stock for a while but they have them now. The Papst 8412NGL is supposed to be 12dBA which should feel twice more quiet than my current 20dBA pcpowercooling Silencer according to this. I was disapointed though - the two fans appear to make the same amount of noise. And for half the price and higher CFM I of course prefer the Silencer.

And BTW I use the rheostat trick and it works good.

I've purchased several Pabst fans from this seller on Ebay.

They are extremly high quality and he has a never ending supply it seems

2 for $7 is also sweet.

If one goes over his price of 1 for $3 or 2 for $7 (yah I know his pricing on two is just nutz) just wait for the next one he lists, he adds them often.

:rolleyes:
fanone.jpg

Ps these fans are noticably heavier than a Sunon and much higher quality.

I got some from Newark Electronics. The site isn't too easy to navigate but they'll send you a free catalog that's around 1200 pages of EVERYTHING electronic. They also sell Comair-Rotron and NMB fans; two other very high quality makes.

Sound...

I actually replaced the one stock intake fan my case came with (Power Logic??) with two of the Papst 43CFM/26dB fans with minimal noise increase. According to my wife even though it is a bit louder it is more tolerable because apparently the two fans kinda drown out the whining noise of the HSF (which she had gotten used to). Is she great or what?! Guess so for hitchin' up with me!!! HA!

I'm looking into other types of fans that could be modded to do some heavier work (just for #*$@ and giggles). EBM has at least a few different kinds of fans for different purposes. Hey, you never can tell what new stuff you may find if you just look.

Back