• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking my C2D E6700 on a MSI P6N SLI Platinum

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stealthstorm

Hi,

I'm a newbie and am trying to overclock my C2D E6700 and I'm running this on a MSI P6N Platinum.

I've read some guides but I can't seem to get it to run stable so I need some help.

Some Computer Specs:

Processor:
Core 2 Duo E6700
Memory:
Kingston HyperX 4GB CL4
Video Card:
Geforce 460 GTX Super Clocked
Operating System:
Windows 7 64-bit
Motherboard:
MSI P6N SLI Platinum

Pictures of my BIOS:

These are the standard settings except for memory voltage (set as recommened by Kingston for running CL4):

28kn09g.jpg

These are the memory timings which I modified because the memory supports these:

2qiv1o4.jpg

This is what it looks like when I disable EIST Control and set clock mode to manual:

2unyp9i.jpg

This is what it looks like when I disable EIST control and set clock mode to linked:

2pzjgvr.jpg

(Btw, for some reason when I check with CPUID the core voltage of my CPU is lower then what I set in the BIOS and it fluctuates between 1.336V and 1.480V
And the multiplier between x 6.0 and x 10.0 even though I turned of EIST control.
Same goes for memory, I've set it on 1.95V in the BIOs as recommened by Kingston but in CPUID it's 1.80V)

I've tried several BIOS settings that didn't last very long, the computer either freezed in windows, freezed at the windows logo or login or just didn't startup.

Last night I had my FSB on 1310 just like below and this seemed to be working quite well compared to all the settings I've tried before, high and low, ran a 3dmark11 test and it finished without any problems.

This morning I turned on the computer but it wouldn't go to POST.

Right now I've set it on the same settings except for the CPU voltage, last night I had it set quite high? on 1.50V and now I've set it on 1.625V even though the intel site has the max on 1.50V

The image below are the settings I have right now. So far so good but I'm afraid it's not going to last. I'm going to put some stress on my CPU and see how it goes.

The temp sofar on all settings don't exceed 35 Celcius or 95 Fahrenheit? in idle mode. Will get back to post the load temp.

2hn7y54.jpg

I only started overclocking yesterday so I'm a complete noob, any help is appreciated.

-

Last edited:
Dear diary,

Update: I managed to get the cpu voltage up by disabling a function in my BIOS which was hidden. This is made the multiplier stay at 10.

Sadly, the above settings didn't work out as the computer freezed during the prime95 stress test. I tried to up the CPU voltage a bit but it made no difference, it actually didn't seem to be much higher when checking CPUID.

So I lowered the FSB Clock size a couple of times and also upped it a couple of times with different CPU voltage settings but no luck either. Have not touched the other voltage settings, I'm a bit scared lol.

One positive thing. I've set the FSB on 1200 which makes the CPU frequency 3.000 Mhz and ran the Prime95 test for 15 minutes. CPU Voltage is at 1.50V. CPU temp went no higher then 50 celsius.This seems to be running stable. I've also changed the memory timing to auto which is 5-5-5-18 instead of 4-4-4-12 but I'm not sure if this helps in any way.

What is the best way for me to proceed now?

Not sure if this helps, as you may know some of this already, but I'll add to your diary... ;-)
My chip is nearly the same as yours except the multiplier (mine's 9). I can run at 9 x 356MHz or 8 x 400MHz stable at 1.375v. Your required voltage seems excessive. My BIOS has a common feature Load Line Calibration. With this enabled, the reported voltages should stay more stable (it prevents V-Droop - worth looking up). This is the only other BIOS setting I *need* to change to run stable at the mentioned settings.
Having a voltage slightly different from what is reported in BIOS is pretty common.
For determining CPU limits, I loosen my memory timings/speed as much as possible to make sure any memory limitations don't interfere with my testing.
3DMark11 will show any gross instabilities (leave your video card at default settings if testing CPU here), but I would stick with something dedicated to CPU testing instead: Prime95/Orthos, intel Linpack, etc. Keep a close eye on temps when using these - I wouldn't be comfortable with load temps going much above 65C (Thermal Protection begins at 80C). I'm assuming you're running stock CPU cooling since it's not mentioned.

EDIT: Oh yeah, welcome to the boards!

Last edited:
I'll lower the CPU voltage a bit and see if it keeps running on the settings in my last post.

As for the cooler, I'm using the Zalman CNPS9700.

What are you using to check the CPU temps? 1.5v is a fair bit of voltage, usually too much for air. I'd expect your temps to be closer to 60-70c depending, maybe more.

First off, try changing that command timing from 1T to 2T. I always had trouble getting 1T to work and it doesn't make too much of a difference outside of benching. Also, try using realtemp to check the temps under load at 1.5V. If it's still staying under 60C for the most part at those volts, try kicking the FSB up to 350 (1400 on your board) or 400 (1600 on your board) and seeing if it works or not. Just make sure your DRAM frequency isn't reading too much. There is a divider in there that keeps it pretty close to 800mhz (that's why it was at 786mhz after you bumped up the FSB) and it should do alright set to auto for now. I'm not sure exactly where it is or what it's called as I'm not too terribly familiar with MSI boards.

Also, dig around and see if you can find anything related to voltage. Basically the reason that the voltages you are getting in CPUz are lower than what you have set in bios is because of vdroop. Most boards have some option for vdroop correction, but it's always called something different. I think load line calibration (LLC) was what I found it as once? It will be an on/off option or have different levels, but not an actual voltage option, as in no numbers.

Hi,

I'm using HWMonitor to check my temps.

My memory is at 2T at the moment as I've set the memory settings to auto.

I've allready tried to up the FSB but whenever I go past a certain amount the computer just won't start. I believe it was 1500 and up when my computer stops booting. Just a black screen. When I test within the +- 1250-1500 range my computer seems to be freezing either at loading windows, in windows or when I do a stress test with Prime95.

I haven't touched my DRAM, I've got it set on "linked" (divider?) which keeps it close to 800Mhz. And if it isn't I change the FSB to make it closer to 800Mhz lol.

I looked for vdroop on my MOBO and searched Google but it seems it doesn't have one.
But it's OK I guess because since I turned off "C1E Support" the MOBO doesn't try to controll the settings (voltage and CPU ratio).

@ Xaeryan

I've tried your 9 x 356MHz or 8 x 400MHz settings but they didn't work. 8 x 400Mhz jsut gave me a black screen when booting. And the other one freezed in Windows.

Just ran a short test with Prime95 and Realtemp, no ERRORS in Prime95. Ussually when the system isn't stable it will crash within 5 min. so this is positive.

I'm not sure about the temps. though, next thing might be to lower the CPU voltage.

FSB 1257

314.10x10
3140Mhz

Under load
1zpks5d.png.jpg

I allwasy keep my fan on fullspeed with the stresstests and whever I game.

Set the multiplier as low as it will go and start the FSB at about 1300 and start bumping it up 10-20 mhz at a time. See how far it will go.

Back