• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Undervolt of 1055t 125W causes hissing noise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aquitain3

Registered
I am the proud owner of a 1055t!

I get it down to 19c on stock cooler by underclocking to 2.4 and undervolting to 1.25V(versus 1.45V and 2.8 stock). It was a great idea-it runs great!

So. ^ That is how I want it to run...1.25V....
Here is the problem. If I take it off stock voltage, to anywhere below 1.40, I get a high pitch hissing. 1.25 is stable running prime for 15 mins.

So what gives? What causes the hiss?

Last edited:
It is probably the voltage regulators on the motherboard. You should be able to narrow down what is causing it by using a tube and putting your ear to it. Listen to different places in the case to find it. I would suggest by starting around the processor area.

It is probably the voltage regulators on the motherboard.

Thanks for the tube tip, but should I just RMA this thing? It had another issue with a perfectly good power supply of a higher voltage than the one it current uses causing a whine noise from an unknown location. The PSU issue was WITHOUT CPU installed in the socket as well.

I have a 90 dollar MSI am3 mobo. its an 8 something series...do they all have ****ty voltage regulators or something?

I really appreciate your help!

I really don't know much about newer motherboards, so it may or may not be normal. Does a quick Google search show you others having similar issues on the same motherboard?

You could always contact the manufacturer to see if they will RMA it for you. I know that my Logitech mouse makes a noise and they sent me a new one with the same issue (they all do it).

Take a straw or some small tube made of hard material to locate the sound as thideras suggested before you start RMAing stuff. You need to make sure it's not some other component besides the motherboard, like the PSU; something you have already experienced. Sounds can be deceiving as to where the are coming from.

Back