• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for help (+new to this forum)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheDankNug

Registered
I have not built a rig in over 5 years, iv been a slave to my laptop and consoles. im looking to dive back into the enthusiast scene again and allot has changed since my last rig. in time id like to water cool so thats why im going to be going with a full tower. i have put together what i think is a good parts list but im just looking to double check that everything is compatible and will run rite.

Note: new egg is out of stock on my video card (GTX 580 3072MB 384-bit) Also already have OS and rom drive.

Also im looking for a good water cooling forum. seeing as i plan to add a second GPU and LC some time around late february

So in short:
Q: everything in my parts list is compadable?
Q: any thoughts on diffrent parts? if so what parts?
Q: good LC forum?

build01c.jpg

Last edited:
:welcome:

First, that memory is a bit overpriced. Unless you just like the way the Dom GT sticks look, you'll be just as happy with something like this.

I'd also go with a different PSU. There are tons of better units at the same price point.

I guess when you say they're sold out of your GTX 580, you're looking for a 3gb card?

LC forum is here.

Yeah those Dominator GT's are way overpriced for what they do. Don't let the fan gimmick fool ya. If they were maybe $80 tops they might be worth it. The gskills sno.lcn listed are great or if you even want a step up for something nicer Gskill 2133 C9 are the real deal.

Main question is what do you do with your desktop. Casual use, hardcore gamer, benchmarker, or prof workstation use. Focus your money on the parts that are going to give you the most gain.

The VelociRaptor is a bad idea. SSD's dominate the market these days for speed. Get a 120 or 240GB Samsung or OCZ\HyperX.

That case is not bad. Only real gripe about it is it doesn't do USB3 "natively" for the front panel. It looks like it would handle a water setup pretty well but you may want to research for any preferred cases.

No reason to get the mATX board. Especially in a full tower. You have over $1400 listed here without video. If your wanting a 580 GTX definitely wait to see if the prices on them drop like it is rumored. That still puts you ina $1750-2000 budget range. Depending on what you do, a lga2011 setup may not be out of the question if you want serious enthusiast.

I agree with the previous posters, that ram is a ripoff. I recommend going with the Corsair brand for a psu. You are better off getting a 60-120 gig ssd as your OS drive/games/apps and a regular hard drive for storage. Price to performance ratio for velociraptors are simply not worth it these days.

I'd go with something like this. OCing is different now, you don't need to touch the RAM speed at all, and since RAM is super cheap and fast RAM doesn't help in anything but benchmarking, cheap RAM is usually what you get.

580 is the most powerful single card, but its' WAY overpriced. The 6970 is only a touch slower but a lot cheaper, and they scale better, so dual 580s = dual 6970s. If you want an NVIDIA specific feature like CUDA acceleration or 3D, I'd get a GTX570.

Capture.JPG
1.JPG

Back