• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hmm..sound card take a dump?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

creepy

Looking to get another opinion here. Im thinking the soundcard went down hill but not too sure.

To start with nothing has been changed as in cables, slot position, headphones, volume etc. Sound card in sig..sound blaster x-fi fatality. I built the machine about 8-9 months ago and have never heard any sort of background noise in the headphones up until now.

Fired up the computer today, put the headphones on and heard a constant buzzing/ringing in the headphones, tried another set of headphones, same problem. After messing around with things ive noticed the card is picking up background noise from the videocards. Faster the fan speed, louder the noise is. Along with a constant ringing.

I uninstalled the drivers, moved the card to another slot, and reinstalled drivers, still the same issue. Enabled onboard and installed drivers and everything is fine with the onboard sound.

Last edited:
Sounds like you problem solved it pretty well. Ive never experienced a problem like this before but I would contact the manufacturer of the card and the place you bought it to see if they have anything to offer. If its still under warranty it sounds like its worth getting replaced.

Thanks for the info. Sure enough it was the card. I needed one asap..didnt want to wait on shipping and was able to get a sb x-fi titanium from bestbuy for cheaper than newegg so went ahead and picked one up.

Not only is the sound gone which was expected since it went away after going to onboard, the sound quality seems to be quite a bit better than what the card I was using was. Wonder if I got a lemon all around. I figured the quality should be near equal since I think they are basically the same card besides some visual features, and the "x-ram" on the fatality.

Opened a RMA ticket with creative but its still pending. Go figure. I will try to contact newegg later today or tomorrow about it.

Back