• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core Temp Frequency Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Keefster

I have an aus p8z68 deluxe gen 3 motherboard with an i5 2500k.

My motherboard automatically controls the frequency of my processor, but never brings it above 3.7 ghz, which I am fine with, I can bring it above that easily if I want to, manually.

Well, supposedly it doesn't bring it above 3.7. I use core temp, and usually it says 3.7ghz is the frequency, but a few times now I've opened it up to check my load temps and saw the frequency listed as 7 ghz, even 8!!!

Does core temp glitch like this sometimes?

Is that even... possible at all? Woudln't my system combust or my processor just fry? My temps don't really exceed 49C either while playing mass effect 2, so I doubt it... but still I am paranoid...

I have an aus p8z68 deluxe gen 3 motherboard with an i5 2500k.

My motherboard automatically controls the frequency of my processor, but never brings it above 3.7 ghz, which I am fine with, I can bring it above that easily if I want to, manually.

Well, supposedly it doesn't bring it above 3.7. I use core temp, and usually it says 3.7ghz is the frequency, but a few times now I've opened it up to check my load temps and saw the frequency listed as 7 ghz, even 8!!!

Does core temp glitch like this sometimes?

Is that even... possible at all? Woudln't my system combust or my processor just fry? My temps don't really exceed 49C either while playing mass effect 2, so I doubt it... but still I am paranoid...

It's a glitch, but I don't know the route of it. I think it is from some conflicting program. It happens to me with my i7 930 sometimes, so it's not just you.

:welcome:

It's a glitch, but I don't know the route of it. I think it is from some conflicting program. It happens to me with my i7 930 sometimes, so it's not just you.

:welcome:

Good to hear. Guess I can resume saving the galaxy without worrying about my processor exploding with the power of a mass relay.

Back