• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Solid state

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Terahertz

Registered
What is the advantage of getting a solid state drive memory card for a a computer, I'm looking for computer parts and barebone kits bundles to build a computer, some deals including some SSD look pretty interesting but the memory space stays pretty low (60gb ,120gb...).

Enlight me please.

Stupid fast, physically more durable, zero noise, nearly zero power. But a lot more expensive (though the gap narrowed a LOT with the world wide HDD shortage).

Maybe? It doesn't do much more then make the computer "feel" extremely fast. I'm not sure how much I/O recording needs, but it wouldn't hurt.

So expecting a high quantity of high volume files and programmes, having an external HDD and using my SSD as my computer memory tool would be the best solution yet?

Yes, that's what most people do. Since they're so expensive, one typically buys a small (60-120GB) drive and puts their operating system and their utmost important programs on it. Everything else either goes on a normal HDD inside the computer or is externally stored.

There's also caching an HDD with SSD, but you need an Intel Z68 motherboard to do this. Here's an article on the technology, basically what it does is analyzes what you do and automatically moves your most used files to the SSD: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4329/intel-z68-chipset-smart-response-technology-ssd-caching-review/2

This looks just great but they seem to say that the SSD would work in tandem with the HDD freeing up the HDD and making the write resquest easier and probably more efficient or the SSD would just get the full work load at the present time and would send back the info at HDD later matching the high performance of SSD and High volume of the HDD.
I don't see how the computer would actually anylize wich files I use the most onless there's a way to some how tell to the SSD to treat and read certain types or specific files.

Anyway, thx for the answers guys.

Yes, that's what most people do. Since they're so expensive, one typically buys a small (60-120GB) drive and puts their operating system and their utmost important programs on it. Everything else either goes on a normal HDD inside the computer or is externally stored.

There's also caching an HDD with SSD, but you need an Intel Z68 motherboard to do this. Here's an article on the technology, basically what it does is analyzes what you do and automatically moves your most used files to the SSD: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4329/intel-z68-chipset-smart-response-technology-ssd-caching-review/2

More or less what the Momentus XT drives do, just on a much larger scale.

An SSD is the best upgrade I have done since going from single->dual core. The difference in everyday usability and speed is huge. Everything is so much more "snappy" They are expensive but worth it, just buy a small one for your OS and most used applications.

Back