• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New bigadv quesiton

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

I know that up to this point, you could do 8 core bigadv on Windows, but you needed linux to get 12 core bigadv work units. Will the shift to 16 core bigadv require linux to use it?

I know that up to this point, you could do 8 core bigadv on Windows, but you needed linux to get 12 core bigadv work units. Will the shift to 16 core bigadv require linux to use it?

I am guessing that the "requirement" is still in effect. BA is all about cutting edge and high performance. Pushing the limit up to 16-core is PGs attempt to move BA folding onwards to fold bigger WU's to advance/speed up the science. Folding in windows takes a significant performance hit. It wouldn't make sense to push the core limit up for better performance, and then take a performance hit by allowing folding in Windows. Because there is no free VM which allows more than eight cores (?), then BA folding defaults to folding in native linux.

I am guessing that the "requirement" is still in effect. BA is all about cutting edge and high performance. Pushing the limit up to 16-core is PGs attempt to move BA folding onwards to fold bigger WU's to advance/speed up the science. Folding in windows takes a significant performance hit. It wouldn't make sense to push the core limit up for better performance, and then take a performance hit by allowing folding in Windows. Because there is no free VM which allows more than eight cores (?), then BA folding defaults to folding in native linux.

You can use qemu to set however many cores you want, fyi.

I'm folding on virtual box with 12 cores avalible... The slider even goes to 24 but it's "red" shaded past 13 cores...

What version of virtual box? I've tried before and it always crashed within 10 minutes of firing up F@H.

I just went to their home page and down loaded the latest version... it was 4.1.6, but now 4.1.8 is out.... i havent downloaded 4.1.8 since i have been folding fine for a few weeks on the prior version. also, you cant mess with the config file to mess with VB's priority settings, so if i restart my comp i change it to low in Task Manager when i fire up VB. if not, it will be at normal and lag windows and/or your GPUs if you fold GPU along side SMP. I also put the kraken in with my SMPs on the VB, and shaved a few seconds off (not to much of a performance gain, but its nice to know Kraken works on single CPU's in VB Linux)

I'm folding on virtual box with 12 cores avalible... The slider even goes to 24 but it's "red" shaded past 13 cores...

After reading this post went to virtual box website and saw that the newest version of virtualbox can present to the VM up to 32 cores. Interesting that you can fold in virtualbox. For the longest time, folding in VB caused crashes. Thus everyone used VMware, specifically, 3.0, because it was stable and you could do 8 cores.

I guess I am just lucky too... I remember when VM changed 1-2 years ago from being able to edit the VMX to see 8 cores, then the newer versions wouldnt let me, and was locked at 4 cores... So when I got back recently and got my comp back into the fold, I just went with VB.

What kind of crashes? the program itself? or tricking people into thinking their OC was bad?

Ah, well none of those problems for me... I also "checked" all the boxes in the VB set up that said anything to do with VMx, Vt, Virtualization and so forth... but it could also just be the version. Since you are brining up the crashing problem, I wont even bother upgrading to 4.1.8 as I always tend to crate 12 hour trouble shooting binge's on my rig when ever I mess with anything... I finally just got my rig to stop throttling a few weeks ago, and stopped the Blue Screens (101/124) from happening every 2-3 days :)

Ah, well none of those problems for me... I also "checked" all the boxes in the VB set up that said anything to do with VMx, Vt, Virtualization and so forth... but it could also just be the version. Since you are brining up the crashing problem, I wont even bother upgrading to 4.1.8 as I always tend to crate 12 hour trouble shooting binge's on my rig when ever I mess with anything... I finally just got my rig to stop throttling a few weeks ago, and stopped the Blue Screens (101/124) from happening every 2-3 days :)

Well, I downloaded 4.1.8 and it seems to be working. I haven't gotten 1% yet, but it hasn't shown any of the weird behavior I'm used to seeing in prior attempts. I got a 6901 right away. I know I'm not going to get bigadv after this, but I should be able to run this on my SR2, an be able to take advantage of the much higher overclock I can get in windows.

Thanks!

Edit: Made it past 1%. Looks like it works now. Whoo-hoo!

Last edited:
Up to 25% without problems. Looks like 4.1.6 and above are folding stable!

Back