• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX 8150

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

E-Ninja

Registered
for all the dumb dumbs (thats the 8 core)

okay so short and sweet, ive looked all over and i just dont see a guide on overclocking the 8150. i just need to know what settings need to be turned off on the Crosshair formula V/thunderbolt AM3+
the cpu will be water cooled, im looking to hit at least 4.5 stable.

any ideas?

Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

Process is the same as it was for phenom's and voltages are roughly similar, so you could also start with your favorite guide for that. Here is Dolk's guide:
http://www.overclockers.com/step-guide-overclock-amd-phenom/

For the Crosshair V Formula specifically, there is an excellent guide here covering all bios options:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2585-ASUS-Crosshair-V-Formula-BIOS-Guide-Overclocking

The ones most important to stability in the BIOS are under the digi-vrm section of the bios. Other than that, you'll want to disabled the power savings feature initially while you find stability - you can turn them back on later once you have found your overclock.

thanks for the welcome. that asus one just explains the different settings really. which is good. but i think what im looking for is what needs to be off and such. ill re read the ROG thread.

Well, nothing really has to be turned off to overclock. Usually people suggest turning off cpu spread spectrum and pci spread spectrum - so you can disable those. They also suggest turning off power savings - if you aren't sure which options are power savings features, then you can reference the rog bios guide. I also disabled everything under the advanced CPU features page, like virtualization, HPC mode, et cetera - none of that is needed for most desktop usage (unless you run vmware or virtualbox).

Other than that, here is a super easy overclocking guide:

1. Leave all other settings at default, unless stated otherwise. Monitor temps not letting them get too high throughout the following steps - if temps are too high, don't increase voltage further until you get better cooling
2. Boot into bios, and view your core voltage reading - that is the VID of your chip. Then increase vcore by .1V
3. Increase CPU multiplier by .5, rebooting to see if it can boot, repeat until it doesn't
4. If you aren't at 4.5GHz yet, increase vcore by .05V
5. Increase CPU multiplier by .5 until you are at 4.5GHz, or until it can no longer boot
6. Once you have your OC where you want it, start with prime95/stress testing to see if its stable
7. You will probably need to fine tune your voltages, and tweak the settings under digi+vrm to get it stable under load

Do you have the system now and are you able to try that? Just post back and let us know where you get stuck as you try it, we'll get you there.

Back