• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which RAID and how to set up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bernersick

Registered
I have been reading a few threads about people wanting to RAID 0 a SSD with a larger different drive (SSD/HD hybrid) for files such as music/pictures/videos. From what I am viewing, the aspect of having the programs installed onto the SSD and random documents on the "back up" drive is simply not as simple as just RAID'ing them together (reducing SSD performance and "unforeseen issues")

It seems like I have been "mislead" by a sales rep at a store but that isnt here or there.. Now that I have a 60GB SSD and 500GB SSD/HD Hybrid, what is the best way for me to "maximize" performance with these two drives?

Also, the system I am discussing has a ASUS MB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131767) which uses a "user-friendly" UEFI bios. When navigating through this, it shows how to arrange boot sequence but has not options for RAID.

Any help/advice is appreciated so TIA.

-B

Sounds like you have been misled. Keep your SSD as OS and your most used software and install everything else on your hybrid.

The largest benefit of SSD's is in boot time for windows/Linux and load times for software.

Back