• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to tune win 10 to give best performance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woncom

hello, I'm new in Overclockers.
I've build a new i7 8086K with very good parts, and I've overclocked its cores to 3x8Ghz 2x7.5Ghz and 1x4.9Ghz
it is very fast and good but I'm not good in win 10 and I don't know how to tune win that it give the best performance.
I have 1TB Nvme in this PC and I know it is 5 time faster than SSD but Nvme is something very new for me and I don't know how to get the most of it. now I use it just like a data disk but surly there are much better use for it.
From past windows I know if some services get turned off, it would have become faster and surly win 10 is the same but I don't know which service must kept on/which service is unnesassary. as well surly if some of win 10 or some folders or some programs get moved to Nvme that make the PC much faster too but I don't which and how

My main PC parts:
i7 8086K
Asus Maximus X hero
Gskill 3733 64GB
Corsair 150 Cpucooler
Corsair 1600 PSU
SSD 1x2TB 1x1TB
Nvme 1TB
Msi 1050Ti (Temperory)

my cooling is good but I know 8Ghz is litle too much, it can not tolorate CPU stressing but I mostly use this PC for browsing video editing and sometimes games. I had no crush by now and I'm intended to keep it on 8ghz as long as it keep having no crush. I've made a video about my PC in YouTube

Guys
Disapointedly you all have right. I've run the benchmarks on 3x80 2x75 1x49 than in bios I brought back all cores to x49 and runned the same benchmarks again, results were less or more the same and there was no clear 3Ghz difference. So as it look bios per core overclocking is fup and sync or per core the minimum core is what you get

Good to know that, thanks for inform me in this case, last few days I was going around and I was happy that my pc run 8ghz, it is sad to know that's not but reality is important not false dreams

sorry that I mislead you, but it was not my fault but bios

Last edited:
hello Johan, thanks for your help about services, it look to be a good guide

about my PC it is running 8Ghz in 3 cores for real. Maybe because beside normal Corsair H150 I've put 5 other big fans to keep it cool constantly, there are 3 fans to help Corsair H150 too when it get hot :) but for real it is runnig 8Ghz in 3 cores, you can see how fast it is the video that I've made about it. Link is in the last line of my Thread

It's not running 8ghz. Not 3 cores, not 1. Please post screenshots of cpuz showing 8ghz.

That video is 37 minutes long... where does it show 8 ghz there (what time in the video)? Whatever is showing you this is incorrect.

I'm very confused, ~32m you show cores at 1x4.9ghz, 2x7.5ghz and 3x8ghz, but still running 1.232v ? in the comments you say it doesn't pass "much" stress testing yet you somehow manage to do 4K x265 video encoding ? with these settings ?

:popcorn:

32m thank you (respectfully...im not sitting through a 37m vid. :)).

AiSuite is clearly not reading that correctly. :)

The world record for that chip cooled with ln2 isnt 8 ghz.. no way it is happening here.

hello Johan, thanks for your help about services, it look to be a good guide

about my PC it is running 8Ghz in 3 cores for real. Maybe because beside normal Corsair H150 I've put 5 other big fans to keep it cool constantly, there are 3 fans to help Corsair H150 too when it get hot :) but for real it is runnig 8Ghz in 3 cores, you can see how fast it is the video that I've made about it. Link is in the last line of my Thread

Either you are reading something wrong, or the software you are using isn't reporting correctly. It doesn't matter what cooling you are using and how many fans you are using the 8086K won't physically run that speed. Even with liquid nitrogen cooling (-180 C) it stops at 7.3 GHz https://hwbot.org/submission/3896041_aerotracks_cpu_frequency_core_i7_8086k_731 4.23_mhz
This is what that looks like

hello EarthDog
:) yes it does, it does run in 8Ghz in 3 cores and rest as I said. Cpuz is a sync core program, it always show only the lowest core, the 4.9ghz one.
sorry that video become so long. Video contain Cinbeanch, Asus RealBeanch, UserBench, and PassmarkBench
It is at end of video that I show Asus AI and how cores are
It is not about what it show me, I overclocked it directly in Bios myself.
wish you guys where here and could see it yourself, take a look at the video you won't regret it

hello EarthDog
:) yes it does, it does run in 8Ghz in 3 cores and rest as I said. Cpuz is a sync core program, it always show only the lowest core, the 4.9ghz one.
sorry that video become so long. Video contain Cinbeanch, Asus RealBeanch, UserBench, and PassmarkBench
It is at end of video that I show Asus AI and how cores are
It is not about what it show me, I overclocked it directly in Bios myself.
wish you guys where here and could see it yourself, take a look at the video you won't regret it

Then you wouldn't have any problem showing us a screenshot of HWInfo64 or Open Hardware Monitor (both free) that show core speed and usage while running benchmarks - something like this :

View attachment 204596

hello Kenrou, Yes I've kept the voltage at 1.232 but I think it automatic go a litle up or down, but 1.232 is a very case sensitive and if I increase/reduce it a litle it crash :)

above 1 minte strees crash it. I use Cyberlink PowerDirector, it video encode sync and use only 4.9Ghz at all cores, and yes it encode all 4K 264 and some 256, the only crash that I had was on m2ts (37mbs)
it does not like too much mbs 37mbs is really allot and less than 10min video become more than 5GB file

if you like give me setting to test it for you

HWMonitor is not like CPU-Z, it shows all cores and threads independently which means your PC is only running 4.9ghz, not 7.5ghz/8ghz like you told us :(

Johan is it you in the video, it is fun extrem overclocking with nitogen

Johan, I overclocked it directly in Bios, yes sync all cores bearly survive 5ghz but per core and step by step and including only 1 in X100 of each core go up to 8.2Ghz , but above 8 or 80x become unstable.
wish you where here and could test it yourself.
I saw many videos of overclocking with Nitrogen, in fact I learn from one of these videos to keep voltage at minimum, and how he overclocked a 8086k to 8Ghz

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I don't know, I can send you some pics from my bios.
this pc is very fast in single core, you click and its done,
I'm not new in computer but new in overclocking, I've searched for it get cool well and I did as guys said in youtube, wish one you guys where in Denmark and could see it with your own eyes :)

Yes I can see it show all at 4.9
Kenrou, there is way to test it. First I run it as it is now on 8ghz than I bring back all cores back to 4.9 and run the tests again if results was the same it run on 4.9 otherwise it run at 8ghz, what do you think?

hello, I'm new in Overclockers.
I've build a new i7 8086K with very good parts, and I've overclocked its cores to 3x8Ghz 2x7.5Ghz and 1x4.9Ghz
it is very fast and good but I'm not good in win 10 and I don't know how to tune win that it give the best performance.
I have 1TB Nvme in this PC and I know it is 5 time faster than SSD but Nvme is something very new for me and I don't know how to get the most of it. now I use it just like a data disk but surly there are much better use for it.
From past windows I know if some services get turned off, it would have become faster and surly win 10 is the same but I don't know which service must kept on/which service is unnesassary. as well surly if some of win 10 or some folders or some programs get moved to Nvme that make the PC much faster too but I don't which and how

My main PC parts:
i7 8086K
Asus Maximus X hero
Gskill 3733 64GB
Corsair 150 Cpucooler
Corsair 1600 PSU
SSD 1x2TB 1x1TB
Nvme 1TB
Msi 1050Ti (Temperory)

my cooling is good but I know 8Ghz is litle too much, it can not tolorate CPU stressing but I mostly use this PC for browsing video editing and sometimes games. I had no crush by now and I'm intended to keep it on 8ghz as long as it keep having no crush. I've made a video about my PC in YouTube

See highlighted text. This makes no sense. Max overclocking for all cores for these CPUs is 5.0-5.2 ghz unless you are super cooling it with liquid nitrogen. Where are you getting those numbers?

Please install a free program called CPU-z and attach a pic to your post that captures the "CPU" tab. You can attach pics with the Go Advanced button at the lower right corner of any new post window. Please crop out the surrounding desktop area from the captured image with Windows Snipping Tool or something similar.

Last edited:

Johan, I overclocked it directly in Bios, yes sync all cores bearly survive 5ghz but per core and step by step and including only 1 in X100 of each core go up to 8.2Ghz , but above 8 or 80x become unstable.
I saw many videos of overclocking with Nitrogen, in fact I learn from one of these videos to keep voltage at minimum, and how he overclocked a 8086k to 8Ghz

I'm not new in computer but new in overclocking, I've searched for it get cool well and I did as guys said in youtube, wish one you guys where in Denmark and could see it with your own eyes :)

Kenrou, there is way to test it. First I run it as it is now on 8ghz than I bring back all cores back to 4.9 and run the tests again if results was the same it run on 4.9 otherwise it run at 8ghz, what do you think?

No that's not me just a random competition video I took from YT for demo purpose. I saw what it said in AISuite but I still refuse to believe the PC actually runs that speed. Also CPUz will track all cores not locked as you say all you have to do is right click on the GUI and it'll show all cores and their current speeds. Here's a good single thread program to test your theory it's call SuperPi and will only run on one thread. http://bit.ly/2n7qv6m
Select 32M from the drop downs menu, have CPUz open while it's running and right click on it to see all core speeds.

You arent understanding. It is not 8ghz... something is clearly reporting wrong. As I said earlier, please install cpuz and show pictures like Johan suggested. No core is running close to 8ghz bud.

You are not at 8ghz. 8086k doesnt reach it under ln2, nonetheless ambient cooling.

Hwmonitor is spot on...

you have right
my test result in all x49 and 3x80 etc. was the same
it is bios that its per core overclocking is fup and it always run on minimum core

you've right EarthDog
my test results in all x49 and 3x80 etc. was the same
it is bios that its per core overclocking is fup and always run them all on minimum core

you've right Johan it does not run on 8ghz
I've put all cores at x49 in bios and run the tests again it gave the same results as in 3x80 etc.
it is bios per core overclocking that is fup and it run always on minimum core

Don't be too disappointed, 4.9 on all cores is still good and makes for a nice fast system.

hello trents and thanks for guidance
you and other guys have right it does not run at 8ghz
I brought back all cores to x49 in bios, and run the benchmarks again and gave the less or more the same results as it was on 3x80 better said there was no 3ghz difference and pc in normal use feels the same too
so it was bios that its per core overclocking is fup and it is always minimum core that count
sorry for misslead you

No problem. Welcome to the forum, by the way!

I note you have a 1600 watt PSU. Do you plan on running multiple high end video cards in the future?

Back