• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Breaking The bank, Last call for Input

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

llImRightll

Registered
"""OK Ok Its all Up in the air again now, If you are just reading this I am now Looking for the best build anyone can put together for An absolute max of $3000, preferably closer to $2800 to give me a little breathing room, Although Im definitely Set on the case - Silverstone Raven 2.0-ew Usb 3.0, and also am set on one of the asus rampage maximus/extreme watever it is boards whichever socket cpu i go with""""

About to order this tomorrow, Very excited about this being my first new comp since 2004, Hp pavilion p4 3.0ghz, 512mb, 128mb graphics......hey it ran Cs 1.6 well...:rofl: also a first build, bit of a big step up..original budget was for $1500, Then $2000, and just last night just couldn't resist spending the majority of my savings, oh well will just have to get back to work sooner than expected :D

thought id just get some final input.... as to weather im doing something wrong, or if there might be any better similarly priced/cheaper parts ect.. also what monitor and any other parts i should get to make the most of this system, will eventually be upgrading to a water cooled 3 monitor setup with x2 &7970's :drool:

:NOTICE:..I know the prices suck, this is because im in a regional Area of Australia

SilverStone Raven Series ATX (RV02B-EW-USB3) $215.80

Intel Core i7 2600K Unlocked Processor - 3.40GHz $339.00

G.Skill Ripjaws-X 16GB(4x 4GB)PC3-12800 / DDR3-1600 - CL7 - 1.6v - Unbuffered - Non-Ecc $307.50

Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB $289.00

OCZ Agility 3 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive $185.00

ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME-Z Intel Socket LGA1155 - ATX $435.00

SilverStone ST85F-G 850W Silent $204.50.... WILL THIS BE ENOUGH FOR EVENTUAL DUAL 7970'S??

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium - SP1 - 64-Bit $99.99

Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7970 - 3GB 384-bit DDR5 RAM - 925 / 5500MHz
Clocks $800.10

Shipping - $118.12 Total$3004.29:cry: ..... + 1 anti static wrist band....? :shrug: $22.15... dont really want to risk F****** up any parts.. however slight the chance

Last edited:
Pretty colors....! :p

First thing I see is 16GB of ram... WOW. Are you SURE you need that much?

The MIVE-Z is a great board, but its made for extreme overclockers (think Dry Ice and Liquid Nitrogen cooling). If you are not going there, you can easily rock a MUCH cheaper board.

I would prefer a Corsair AX850 over that silverstone.

No need for anti static wristband either.

eheh thought id better introduce some color cause i was rambling on so much :D...

Hmm lol don't think ill be using dry ice and liq nitrogen lol, but will most likely be doing some pretty aggressive overclocking eventually

Hmm ok was mainly going with the silverstone cause the case is same brand thought it might be a good idea....eheh....Ahh i see u linked to the psu :D, sry was bieng lazy asking that lol

And finally no i probably don't REALLLY need 16gb..i guess its a little overboard would be nice lol, what would u recommend? iit's probably gonna be hard to convince me to go any lower than 12gb lol

Any idea's on what monitor is nice in a 3 display setup?..small edge ect....was looking a a Benq 27.5" 2ms one for like $350 which seems pretty reasonable for Oz

Aggressive overclocking can be done with a much lesser board as well...Giga Z68XP-UD5

8GB DDR3 1600Mhz CL9. Most people dont need 4GB, 8GB is futureproofing 16GB is for those who render large files, run multiple VM's, etc.

Get a 3930K and an X79 Sabretooth and a $550 7970. Roughly the same amount of money, way more pulling power on the cpu end. PCIE 3.0 compliant from the get go for your PCIE 3.0 card. And each stick of RAM has its own channel. Win/win/win. You should be looking at SB-E not SB for $3000 :). Simple budget reshuffling for extra HP. The 2011 platform is what you want. That's Q4 2011 and the enthusiast platform vs Q1 2011 and the mainstream platform.

Find out how long the 7970 is btw as the RV02 only takes up to 11 or 12" and there's nothing you can do at that point due to the 90 degree mobo rotation. I like some cheaper cases better given what's out there right now. It's not gorgeous but the 500R is hard to beat for functionality. I wrote a review on it. The 600T with the mesh side panel taking 4 120mm fans is nothing to shake a stick at either and both accomodate graphics cards up to like 18" or so, should any ever exist.

Whatever you do for the monitor get a quality IPS or PVA panel don't get a TN panel. Better color and viewing angles.

He's already spent the money in his head so might as well redirect it as best we can :). Buy the best and frag the rest. Don't tell the wife to save your life.

He's already spent the money in his head so might as well redirect it as best we can :). Buy the best and frag the rest. Don't tell the wife to save your life.
Yes, but its up to us to help make sure he is spending his money in the best way. We give the info out, he pays for whatever he wants. You put up some great options ;).

I always say get the best you can(want) to afford. But if one can get a great level of performance for muhc much less, why not? :shrug:

AHHH No...i thought i had it all sorted out lol

He's already spent the money in his head so might as well redirect it as best we can

LMFAO!!! that's Absolutely right lol the money was gone last night ahahah, it may be still in the bank but its For all intents and purposes gone ahahaha

ur saying i could get that cpu and mbob ect for the same price??? i thought the 3930k's were like $1000+??? Btw.. think u missed that im in Australia...7970 are like $700 minimum here, can u post some links for that gear u were talking about so i can have a look at exactly what it is? :-/,

Thanks for the monitors recommendations will look into them

And that green is reserved for MODERATORS... lay off the colors! :p

3930k's are $600, those mobo's are $300 (in the US - you need to find where you can get those down under).

Ahah lol sry >.<, i will use this blue then :p and not even a shiny blue :D, hmm yeah the 3930k's r $669, and the mobos r 395.... so thats like an extra $300 on my build lol...... unless the ram and other parts for the 2011 socket r cheaper?, Hmm its probably a bit of an ask and kinda lazy but would someone be able to throw together a quick example of a 2011 socket build in my price range? ive spent like the last 3 weeks sorting out that last build and now..BANG its all up in the air again ahahah..i guess the hdd/sdd and case stay the same...hmmm if the case can fit a 7970... must check that.. hmm how are the Ramppage iv formulas for the 2011 socket...much prefer the look of that board....

This graphics card is 300 dollars cheaper and has a high core clock then yours so if you can get this in your area then its fine. If you are spending 300 dollars then yes go with the 2011 socket. Since you are getting an SSD getting that Caviar black isn't going to help as much i think so you can save some money by going with this hard drive i think correct me if i am wrong. The case if you think that it needs to be change look at the HAF X or the 932 advanced they are good cases and have LOTS of expansions slots and both of them support ATX, E-ATX, XL-ATX and save some money there also 8gb is more than enough but ram is really cheap so if you do want to do 16 gb go for it

Seriously... default colors. I feel like Im reading my 4 y.o sons work from school :p

Ram is not cheaper..it would be the same since you have 4x4GB listed in the first place.

That Asus (Rampage IV Extreme or RIVE) board for this socket is $470 in the USA.

Here's my suggestion.. I'm from Aus too and I always use this site personally. Saved you some money too.. 2TB Green from WD is fine for storage.. It's the best price/size ratio at the moment.. Though it's not the fastest drive.

8GB RAM is more than enough for anything a gamer or what not could throw at it. Even if you do some basic media work, it's enough. I have 6GB and do media work; and I rarely run out....

The HCP 750 is a great PSU. The HD 7970 is a card that really doesn't use a whole lot of power to be honest.. A 750 W would run 2 of them just fine with a Sandy Bridge CPU. I wouldn't be worried. This assumes you haven't already bought everything.. XD. But here's my build alteration. (Consider the ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Gen3 Motherboard if you would like to stick with Asus).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-01-10 at 6.52.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-01-10 at 6.52.14 PM.png
    42.5 KB · Views: 147
Yeah, I mean the thing to me is... and maybe this is just me... If I have $3k in the bank and can easily get away with a $2k build and have $1k leftover, why wouldnt I do that?

I just dont think, from the limited uses the OP listed, that spending that much money on a PC is a good idea considering it appears he will never remotely use that much power.

But OP, its up to you. If you insist...we will help build that $3k system, just note the 2600k setup would be bangin fast and have an upgrade path to IVybrdige and leave you with $1k in the bank. ;)

Yeah, I mean the thing to me is... and maybe this is just me... If I have $3k in the bank and can easily get away with a $2k build and have $1k leftover, why wouldnt I do that?

I just dont think, from the limited uses the OP listed, that spending that much money on a PC is a good idea considering it appears he will never remotely use that much power.

But OP, its up to you. If you insist...we will help build that $3k system, just note the 2600k setup would be bangin fast and have an upgrade path to IVybrdige and leave you with $1k in the bank. ;)

Well. With the build I put.. At around 2300. He could grab a Samsung PLS monitor 27 inch 2560x1440! Ha. (around 700-800 bucks :p). Or the same Dell I use (though apparently PLS > IPS o_O).

@op.

I agree with ED though.

Do you have a current gaming system? With perhaps a semi-decent graphics card? I would honestly wait a month or so for the HD 7970 to come down in price; and for the aftermarket versions to start arriving. But that's me.

Hmmm so much to consider :confused: arghhh, Lol i am currently running a 7 year old hp pavilion with p4 3.0 ghz, 1.5gb ram, and 512mb agp card lol, no it does not run a thing eheeh it lags with more than 1 or 2 windows open on the net......you have a very good point about the 7970, i much prefer the look of the xfx double black, mmm Shiny silver....would very much like to w8 for that to come out i think im just rushing cause the excitement of having a beast is just to great to bear hahahah,

I do very much have my heart set on one of the rampage extreme's, no matter which socket i go with, i just fell in love with the looks of them,.. and also they kick ***

Im pretty much committed to spending at least $2500-$2700 on the system for shure, my absolute limit is $3500, i was hoping to get a new Kb & mouse aswell ...( razer mamba !! :drool:) not shure about kb

So yeah maybey i will wait a little while and get some more input from the forums ehehe.... So basically im looking for the most kick *** build someone can put together... lets say for $3000 max hoping to stay around $2700-$2800??

lol.... problem is im just of the persuasion that i may as well spend what i can now and have it future proofed, obviously i am very very new to this as i have reallly never had a "high end" system and this is gonna be my first attempt at doing anything other than installing extra ram or a os install lol

Thanks Mjolnir was hoping you would post a list from that site, though you still need to link the actual site heh. Ppl keep posting prices for stuff in the US which has no bearing on price or availability in AUS. Often a $2K machine here will cost you $3K else where.

Clearly the OP was getting some rough pries from wherever he was looking at as 16GB of ram costing almost as much as the 2600K is just nuts.

I'd still consider putting a few extra bucks into the 850w version of the Antec just to give him more headway.

Back