• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU/PCI-e Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

T-Wrecks

Hey everyone,
I am new to the forums as a registered user but have been coming to read and learn for quite some time now. But now no matter how much I read and learn I haven't been able to solve my problem on my own. I've been suffering from power issues for a year now but haven't really worried about it because I have a second PC which I built and which works perfectly fine. The problem I am having is with a custom built PC I bought "ready-to-go"... so I had assumed.

So just to introduce my problem:
I had a 550Watt PSU
Intel Quad-Core 2.4GHz
ATI HD 4650
ASUS P7P55D-E LX Motherboard

When I use my computer for everyday things it works perfectly fine, but as soon as I start to play games (NFS:Shift, CIV:V, Fallout 3) it works for a little while and the game freezes to a black screen with looping sounds and returns a minute later or fully crashes.

I have swapped out and in the DDR3 ram from one comp to the other, swapped the ATI for an NVIDA vid card and neither of these things solved my issue. I then had an idea, I powered the video card in question with my PSU from my second computer with an extra PCI-e power cable, and the rest of the computer with the original PSU and amazingly my computer worked flawlessly! I was able to play games for longer than my usual ~5mins, in fact I played for a whopping 5 hours before I decided to call it test confirmed.

So from this I thought that the problem was I needed a bigger power supply, so I went out and bought a 750W OCZ power supply, and I am still having the same problems.

Sorry for the long essay, but from what I know, the more detail I can provide the better, but I know I still must have left some important information out, so please let me know if you require any extra information.

:bang head :confused: :chair:

Yeah, that system doesnt take more than 300W so its likely not a power issue.

How are the temperatures under load for your CPU (Prime95-> Torture test -> Small FFT)? For your GPU?
Have you tried swapping GPU drivers for the newest, or if you are on the newest, rolling back?

What model of CPU is installed? And in addition to the 24-pin ATX connector, is the PSU connected to the 8-pin ATX12V connector at the top of the board? Open CPU-Z to the CPU tab and monitor the Core Voltage while running Prime. Note that voltage here, or just Alt+PrtScn / Snip the CPU-Z image and post it in this thread.

I've tried both newer and older drivers for both my ati and nvidia cards hoping to find one working configuration with no luck.

Regarding the stress tests, I will post pics tonight after work. Thanks for the replies!

When you used the second PSU, you had the door off of your computer, correct?
Might be a lack of airflow overheating your stuff...try again with the door off, using only the one PSU to verify.

Correct sir.
But whenever I do work, testing hardware I usually keep the door open.
So when I installed the new PSU I had the door open for the first run when it crashed.
From what I recall, the temp from running the PC normally is around 43C and under usage its about 55C(at the most) right after crashing

prime95x.jpg

Here's what I got

Here is what windows reliability report says

Source
Windows

Summary
Video hardware error

Date
‎1/‎12/‎2012 12:55 PM

Status
Not reported

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem
WD-20120112-1255.dmp
sysdata.xml
WERInternalMetadata.xml

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 117
BCP1: 82606510
BCP2: 89721AD6