• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking 1090 (or even underclocking) problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheChaos0

Hi all, had my Phenom x6 1090T running at stock settings for a while now. So today I tried to overclock it, since I thought it was a waste of my cooling not to.

I didn't try anything crazy and went for 3.4ghz as a test. System didn't boot. Then I tried different things, disabled turbo core and QnQ. System didn't boot. Then I said ok... let's put the settings to stock but manually - CPU freq 230, multi 14 and put CPU/HT to x8 for the hell of it. This should give me underclocked memory and stock speed. System didn't boot.

Ok then, I then tried to underclock it to 2.6ghz....system didn't boot.

So unless everything is on auto system doesn't boot. I got Asus M4N68T, it can't be that bad to not able to do any CPU manipulations...can it?

Maybe I'm forgetting something, I not done any overclocking since phenom x2...

Thanks.

we need alot more info to help.
cpu-z screenies would be nice
make a sig like mine with your rig in it
1090 is a be with an unlocked multi adjust that instead of the ht bus....
settings in bios ???auto is not helpful for oc,ing

Unplug the PSU from the wall socket and use the cmos jumper to reset the machine. Make sure you return the jumper to its default position before you restore power.

I suspect you overclocked the ram too far when you were at 230 fsb. It is tied to the system bus you know so that when you increase the CPU frequency (system bus, fsb) the ram speeds up too. But why did you even bother to use the system bus to overclock when you have a black edition multiplier unlocked CPU?

we need alot more info to help.
cpu-z screenies would be nice
make a sig like mine with your rig in it
1090 is a be with an unlocked multi adjust that instead of the ht bus....
settings in bios ???auto is not helpful for oc,ing

I doubt CPU-Z screens would help, since I can only run it with stock speed. I must be stupid or my post count simply does not allow for signatures (otherwise I would have done it already) but here's the run down of the system:

AMD Phenom x2 1090T @ Stock
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2
Asus M4N68T
G-Skill 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit
GeForce GTX 580
Crucial 256GB M4 SSD SATA-III 6Gb/s
Xenta 800W PSU
Antec 1200 case

Unplug the PSU from the wall socket and use the cmos jumper to reset the machine. Make sure you return the jumper to its default position before you restore power.

I suspect you overclocked the ram too far when you were at 230 fsb. It is tied to the system bus you know so that when you increase the CPU frequency (system bus, fsb) the ram speeds up too. But why did you even bother to use the system bus to overclock when you have a black edition multiplier unlocked CPU?

Ah don't worry I don't have troubles resetting it to normal afterwards. Your point about the memory would have been valid if I didn't lower the NB multiplier beforehand, in fact I tried to lower it as low as it goes (x4).

You know I don't know why I'm upping the bus with unlocked multiplier myself :facepalm:

I just tried it now, easy 200mhz increase. Still a bit odd that upping bus to anything causes the system to not even boot to bios.

Not sure how far I wanna push it, what do you reckon should be fine?

The NB multiplier has nothing to do with the frequency of the ram. It does affect the efficiency of the communication between the ram and the memory controller but has no impact on the frequency of the ram itself.

Back