• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Raid 0 Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

corradokng

Setup:
Board: Asus P7P55D-e
I7-870

I just bought 2 Agility 3 60gb SSD SATA III Drives:
I want to go with a Raid 0 Setup but found out the 6gb/s Sata III ports on the board do not support Raid.
For now I just used the Sata II 3gb/s ports with the raid 0 setup.

My questions are:
Would I be better off running the drives not in a raid setup on the SATA III ports or my current raid 0 setup or purchase a raid controller?
Would I notice much of a difference by purchasing a raid controller? I am looking at the rocketraid 2720.
However I would loose a PCI-e port on the board due to the fact my current setup has two video cards.
What is the best route to go here? spend the extra 200$ on a raid card or continue with what I have?

Thanks in advance.

Running solid state drives in RAID 0 would actually lower your random access times, which is the main strength of the drive. You should return both (or one) and just get a single SSD that is the size you need. This makes it cheaper on your part since you don't have to get a RAID controller and you will get better performance. It is also a simpler setup with less chance to fail.

Back