• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD secure erase after BIOS update and SSD firmware update, do i really have to?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ruthless

Registered
Hello there

I just updated my Asus P8Z68-V pro and Corsair Force GT 120GB to the latest bios and firmware. I had problem with my SSD disappearing and those updates fixed that problem. Now i have a new problem.

Disappearing issue changed to random freezing issue with no warning at all. No blue screen, no odd delays at starting programs which used to be a certain hint that SSD is about to disappear, no warning at all anywhere. Now my computer just stops. Corsair recommends secure erasing SSD and installing Windows again, but is that really the thing? My point is that do i really have to erase my SSD and everything i have in there every time i update it?

Ofcourse i do have the stuff that matters in a separate HDD, but it still sounds like an annoying thing to do.

EDIT: And should i return my SSD and change it to Intels? They are a lot more expensive here in Finland but i read that their reliability is way better than Corsairs but read/write speed isn't as good?

You do not have to secure erase after every firmware update, however considering you were having issues before hand, there was probably damage to the OS that only a reinstall will fix.

Back