• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFX Black Edition 7970 - Display Drivers Crashing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zild1221

I am in desperate need of assistance here. I just got my new 7970 BE. It replaced crossfired 6870's. I have used the AMD driver uninstaller on the old drivers, restarted, then used Driver Sweeper to clean up the remnants.

I then installed my 7970, installed the drivers supplied by XFX, and this is where I am at. While playing games it locks up and the drivers crash and reset. I don't know what else I can supply to help you guys help me.

My system specs are:

2600K @ 4.4GHz
2x4GB DDR3-1600 RAM
XFX BE 7970 @ Stock (also tried OC'ed within CCC)
750W SeaSonic PSU
MSI P67A-GD55 Mobo
2x Crucial M4 64GB SSD's RAID 0
4X 1TB Seagate HDD's RAID 1+0

Any help is appreciated. I sim race and have a league race tomorrow and I can't have drivers crashing!

I am also curious about this, I don't have the 7970 BE like you, just the regular XFX 7950 DD. Certain games I can play for hours as well as bench, other times the drivers constantly crash. I know these are new cards, but it can make you think twice about buying them haha.

Are you guys getting the annoying "display driver has stopped responding and has successfully recovered" message when this crashes occur? I went through this with my HD 5870 and it turned out my CPU overclock was causing it. Tweaking the voltage a little more helped it go away. Now with my new 7970, I'm getting the same message, not during games (at least not yet), but rather shortly after waking the computer from sleep. Not every time mind you, but maybe once every couple days. I also OC'd my card to 1100/1500 so I'm wondering if it's the OC or maybe it just dislikes my CPU OC.

Are you guys getting the annoying "display driver has stopped responding and has successfully recovered" message when this crashes occur? I went through this with my HD 5870 and it turned out my CPU overclock was causing it. Tweaking the voltage a little more helped it go away. Now with my new 7970, I'm getting the same message, not during games (at least not yet), but rather shortly after waking the computer from sleep. Not every time mind you, but maybe once every couple days. I also OC'd my card to 1100/1500 so I'm wondering if it's the OC or maybe it just dislikes my CPU OC.

Yeah, everytime it crashes, rarely it freezes up. I've considered the same thing, that the overclocks are not getting along, but figured I was just crazy. I am fairly new to all this so I just kinda tinker with all my settings until I get something stable. I have run into alot of artifacts in Skyrim, so I had to drop my video overclock down from what was previously stable. Hopefully the drivers for these cards will get better soon.

Most likely your GPU OC causing it then. Also, these cards get really picky about their temps the higher the overclock you feed it. I get artifacting above 1100/1500 unless I have the fan blowing at 100% keeping the temp around 60 max. That's ok though. If I want to OC that high, all it really means is that I have to install an aftermarket cooler, and I can live with that.

Most likely your GPU OC causing it then. Also, these cards get really picky about their temps the higher the overclock you feed it. I get artifacting above 1100/1500 unless I have the fan blowing at 100% keeping the temp around 60 max. That's ok though. If I want to OC that high, all it really means is that I have to install an aftermarket cooler, and I can live with that.

I've wondered if this fan is installed correctly, at my current settings I hit 83C after an hour of gaming and the fan at 100%. Just seems high for my current settings.

Back