• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need better sound!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vortaku

So I will be using this for about 60% music 40% gaming. not only fps, mmos, rpgs, peggle, everything.

it will be for the sig rig.

i currently have klipsch promedia 2.1, i think theyre great. i am however using onboard sound. so i was thinking upgrade to a sound card and grab a set of headphones. i am kinda leaning towards the stx because i can have headphones and speakers plugged in at the same time.

well gimmie ideas and opinions. if i need to get new speakers i can but i imagine these arent as bad as like 20 dollar speakers!

edit: budget: under 200 for headphones, under 200 for soundcard, under 200 for speakers(assuming i need to upgrade at all) so thats 600 i guess. the speakers would obviously be the last thing i would upgrade, soundcard first then the headphoens in order of buying

Last edited:
Best headphone sound for the money:

Sennheiser HD598 or V-Moda M-80 $195-250
Nuforce uDac 2 (standard version) $125

This is upgradable via analog outputs on the uDac to a higher quality amp, or to a secondary system (speaker amp + real speakers, etc).

Can use your speakers with this also just unplug headphones plug in speakers to the 1/8 jack.

Keep your speakers. Not going to do any better for $200.

hmm, ill have to do some research on that amp, i never thought about using something like that.

The big reason to use something like that is to pull the processing out of the noisebox, aka computer. USB can have some noise issues of it's own but nothing like what a soundcard has to battle. You may not notice buzzing or surface noises on your speakers but you will with headphones.

That Realtek onboard audio isnt going to be bested without stepping up to something like the $200 Xonar cards, or the Auzentech X-Meridian 2G. It is going to match or beat most everything I can think of under that. And to be honest, like the majority of people, you don't really have the high-end listening hardware to take advantage of the top cards. Neither do I.

So unless you are having issues with the onboard (like Maxvla mentions), I don't think you need to upgrade based on comparing specs. I dont think you need an independent amp/DAC either, again, based on specs. So you can splurge on a nice pair of headphones, or two.

I own the Sennheiser 558's, and have listened to them alongside my brothers 598's. Neither of us hear the difference to justify the extra money for the 598. After the tape mod, it makes even less sense. The difference in midrange, which partly defines the 598 from the 558, is almost entirely gone. They use the same drivers, and the 558 looks better IMO. It can be found for $120 when there are sales. At full price of $175, they are a bit overpriced to me. I got mine at sale time and I kept them.

So depending on what you might do, you could spend a bit more on headphones. I really want to try out the Beyer DT880 Pro, but I would need an amp upgrade. So that would be a $500 undertaking, altogether.

You really cannot go wrong with the much hyped (much deserved) AD700. For under $250, there is not a better all-around headphone. For gaming they are killer. The very open sound suits gaming perfectly. And I think musically, they compare to open headphones upwards of four times their price. There is a lack of bass, but that can be solved through EQ tweaks. For gaming and TV/movies it blows the 558/598 out of the water (the 558 gets recommended a lot as an all-around, but compared to the AD700 it flat out sucks). I would start with the AD700 and go from there.

At the moment Im using my 558's for music and the AD700's for everything else. I think the 558 soundstage fits music better, but I miss the airy sound of the AD700 at times. Below describes the differences. And until I save up for the Beyer's, I think I have a nice headphone pairing for the time being.

I think the issue here is that we are so used to associating good soundstage with a wide open sound.

The comparison between the HD598/558 and the AD700/900 is the perfect comparison to discuss this. With the Audio Technica, you get a wide open sound, but there is no proper soundstage image, no three dimensionality, no layering. With the Senns, the sound is more closed in, not as wide open, but the soundstage image is very accurate and very three dimensional. So the bottom line is if you'll ask me which has the best soundstage, it's the Senns. But if you ask me which has the more open sound, it's the Audio Technicas.

Then there is the usual discussion about tonality, which has the better body and so on. Generally speaking the entire AD-line up is about giving an airy sound, not about mid or low end body. On the other hand Senn has always been putting their money on mid and low end body. At the end it's up to the individual to choose, which sound presentation fits their music better.

Last edited:
That Realtek onboard audio isnt going to be bested without stepping up to something like the $200 Xonar cards, or the Auzentech X-Meridian 2G. It is going to match or beat most everything I can think of under that. And to be honest, like the majority of people, you don't really have the high-end listening hardware to take advantage of the top cards. Neither do I.

So unless you are having issues with the onboard (like Maxvla mentions), I don't think you need to upgrade based on comparing specs. I dont think you need an independent amp/DAC either, again, based on specs. So you can splurge on a nice pair of headphones, or two.

I own the Sennheiser 558's, and have listened to them alongside my brothers 598's. Neither of us hear the difference to justify the extra money for the 598. After the tape mod, it makes even less sense. The difference in midrange, which partly defines the 598 from the 558, is almost entirely gone. They use the same drivers, and the 558 looks better IMO. It can be found for $120 when there are sales. At full price of $175, they are a bit overpriced to me. I got mine at sale time and I kept them.

So depending on what you might do, you could spend a bit more on headphones. I really want to try out the Beyer DT880 Pro, but I would need an amp upgrade. So that would be a $500 undertaking, altogether.

You really cannot go wrong with the much hyped (much deserved) AD700. For under $250, there is not a better all-around headphone. For gaming they are killer. The very open sound suits gaming perfectly. And I think musically, they compare to open headphones upwards of four times their price. There is a lack of bass, but that can be solved through EQ tweaks. For gaming and TV/movies it blows the 558/598 out of the water (the 558 gets recommended a lot as an all-around, but compared to the AD700 it flat out sucks). I would start with the AD700 and go from there.

At the moment Im using my 558's for music and the AD700's for everything else. I think the 558 soundstage fits music better, but I miss the airy sound of the AD700 at times. Below describes the differences. And until I save up for the Beyer's, I think I have a nice headphone pairing for the time being.

thank you so much, great read :D

The AD700 are good for what they are, but certainly not as you make them out to be. The DT880 is very much like a less refined more relaxed laid back HD598. A bit more treble tilted than HD600 but with acceptable bass (compared to HD600). If you have the HD598 sound I don't think you'll like the DT880. I find the HD598 a clear upgrade in all aspects to the HD580/600/650 and I've heard them all. I found the DT880 a slight improvement, or perhaps just a different flavor, over the HD600.

The V-Moda M-80 is a great little headphone that is highly portable, semi-closed, but with medium to large soundstage, smooth response top to bottom and great bass. I liked it as well as the HD598 or perhaps more. It is low impedance and doesn't require large amping. Pairing it with the uDac 2 makes a great combo at fair price.

is there a store i can go to listen to these in person?? im in dallas and have no clue

Not sure about Dallas, but if you are interested we're having a Head-fi meet in Austin on March 10th if you'd like to come. Will be lots of cans to try in all different price ranges. I'm helping the host with arrangements and such so let me know if you would like to join us or you can join up and post there if you like. It's really an opportunity you don't want to miss if you can avoid it. All the headphones you could want to try with no cost to you except your time and a little gas. Trivial compared to shipping charges trying lots of different things.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/577331/texas-meet-saturday-march-10th-2012-location-inside#post_7847797

Back