• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED $2700 PC Pre-Purchase

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
2700 beans? Ouch.

Personally, I would consider going with a z68 MB and a sweet spot i5 2500K that you can OC. If you live near a Micro Center, you can get an i7 2600k for just a bit more - I paid $229 for mine.

That GPU is nice, but it's a lot to spend when we are two months out from an nVidia refresh. How many monitors are you running and for what purpose? Gaming?

PSU seems like overkill. I have the AX750 for a single GPU build and it is most likely overkill for me. Are you planning on going SLI...and adding 5 more HDDs? :)

Frankly, it seems like a lot to spend for a tad more capability, which you may or may not use...yet you have no SSD and the HDD is fairly small.

Thanks for the reply. At the moment im using a single 37 inch monitor. I'm almost certainly upgrade in the future to some kind of 2 or three mointor with a higher res. The build is for gaming but predominately for game dev (UDK) and 3D rendering. As far as the SSD and HDD, im holding off at the moment due to budget limitations but i plan for at least 3 HDDs and 1 or 2 SSDs. That's why I was thinking of going for the overkill PSU :)

An overkill PSU for that rig would be 800w. What you have is...extreme. Do you ever plan to have more than one video card? If so, an 850w PSU might be more appropriate. If not, something around 650w is probably more suitable.

If you're doing 3D rendering, I'd recommend finding whatever processor has the most logical cores. So the 3930k makes sense there over something like the 2500K or 2600K.

Why is that RAM $300??? It's like you picked based on whatever was most expensive. :) That price is absurd, given this $90 kit will give you 95% of the performance: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231315

I agree about not getting the top notch overclocker's RAM. You won't really need it for what you are doing. You chose wisely going X79 for this kind of work.

Ouch again...I missed the RAM when I posted last. Yeah, that seems extreme. 1600 is the current sweet spot...and you can get 4 x 4GB for around 90 beans.

Thanks for the help so far everybody. I agree now looking back that some of the stuff picked out might be a bit too much for my application(haha far too much).That aside, I'm wondering if I'll need anything else for my build. With the basic list I have I think i got all the core components (though I'm certainly going to change out a few items for more reasonable counterparts :)).I've worked with my friends on PCs before, but never compiled the parts for a new pc from scratch.From my understanding usually the components come with all the needed hardware, brackets, ect ect.... Is this true for all parts? or otherwise will i need to find anything else to finish my build so i can assemble everything. Sorry for the noobish question and thanks in advance again.

They usually come with everything you need but some times your HSF might not come with any thermal paste on no 2.5 inch drives just minor things like that but everything now days is complete. if you get what i am saying

Thermal paste is a good idea. All the screws/brackets/etc. that you'll need should come with the case. Otherwise I think you've got all the core components covered.

The GTX580 Classified is a nice high end card but like "Scuba Steve VA" mentioned Nvidia will be releasing "Kepler" based cards before too long. If you really want a high end card have you considered the newly released AMD(ATI) 7970 cards?

The GTX580 Classified is a nice high end card but like "Scuba Steve VA" mentioned Nvidia will be releasing "Kepler" based cards before too long. If you really want a high end card have you considered the newly released AMD(ATI) 7970 cards?

I just looked into the 7970 and its looking to be an much better match for me. But based on what i am hearing with the Nvidia's Kepler's cards I wonder if I should go ahead and wait for them though. Price wise I'm hoping to keep my GPU around $550 max. When the new cards release I think its unlikely they'll be $550. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

If I were you I would also get cheaper RAM. You will not notice the difference in anything outside of a benchmark versus a slightly slower kit. The faster kits seem to get exponentially more expensive for almost no gain (again, outside of benchmarking bandwidth - this should not really be a bottleneck considering it is quad channel). You can save money by getting something like:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231315

You can then use the money saved towards something you will notice a difference with, an SSD would be my choice.

Thank again for the help everyone. I've been able to finally been able get all my my parts order ( and revised the ones that were extreme...:). Very helpful indeed haha!

Back