• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding Forums down?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

belorsch

Folding Monk
I'm still playing catch up when it comes to the client and what not and I wanted to research a problem I'm having. I'm hitting the link off of Stanford's website for foldingforum.org but not getting there. Am I missing something?
Thanks,
bel

The folding forums are working here...
Hehe, I just didnt want to bother someone if it was already written down somewhere but here it goes. I'm trying to setup the 6.34(i think it is)smp client on a xp machine at home and getting a windows error when I'm doing the configure and typing "big" instead of leaving it at the default "normal" work units.
Thanks

ps. I tried it on another xp machine and got the error at the same point.

Last edited:
There was a problem with the forum mail being labeled as spam by Microsoft. Guess they had to reset DNS in order to fix the problem. All should be good now.

Thanks for the info Mac.
I'm not finding what I'm looking for though. I'm downloading the v6.34 smp client from
HTML:
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinSMPGuide
Hopefully that is the correct client for my needs. Everything I have is 4 cores or less. A 6420 and Q6600 are probably the oldest procs.
I'm getting a windows error after the below step:
"Acceptable size of work assignment and work result packets (bigger units
may have large memory demands) -- 'small' is <5MB, 'normal' is <10MB, and
'big' is >10MB (small/normal/big) [normal]?"*

*Copied from Stanfords site
Perhaps I'm better off running multiple uni clients?
I understand smp2 has very short deadlines. Does the old smp client have the same short deadlines?
Thanks again.

I can't reach the folding forum from my home computer but can from my iphone.

As Mac notes, It's a DNS misconfiguration. THe fix will propagate. I can hit the view new posts page but not the index now.

Last edited:
I can't reach the folding forum from my home computer but can from my iphone.

As Mac notes, It's a DNS misconfiguration. THe fix will propagate. I can hit the view new posts page but not the index now.
Sorry I didn't answer that well. I can hit their site just fine now, but didn't find what I was looking for. Lot of catching up to do, I guess its just gonna take awhile.

Just want to say that it's nice to see you back belorsch! :)

The Q6600 (if OC'd) will do fine on current SMP work. I'd just leave any dual cores to uniproc work or just don't run the duals at all.

Question on smp for Q6600 do I need to use the passkey?
If I do, can I stop the client and then just add the key in the client.cfg?
Thanks

Yes you do, and yes you can. Without a passkey you will miss out on a lot of points.

Passkeys are here:
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/getpasskey.py

The config file is unix/linux, not Windows. On a Windows rig, it's better to just set the -configonly flag, and edit it that way, then restart it.
Thanks Adak. Bummer about not editing the config file though in windows. Thats a long key to not be able to cut and paste, leaves a lot of room for error.

Well I'm done with smp for this week. I lost the unit I was working on that was at 50% and I still can't get the configuration done because of the errors.

It CAN be edited with a plain text editor, but it's so easy to goof it up that I stopped advising people to do it that way. For instance, the end of a record is marked with a newline - but it's a unix newline, not a dos or windows newline. So 1) it doesn't start a newline in your editor, making it hard to see where one record stops and the next one starts, and 2) it doesn't even show (visible) in lots of fonts, on screen! When it does show, it's a square little box char.

To help with the passkey, you can break up the 32 characters, into groups of 5. That's a big help: 1a66f 200db etc., and then remove the spaces after you've double checked it.

Sorry about your lost wu.

It CAN be edited with a plain text editor, but it's so easy to goof it up that I stopped advising people to do it that way. For instance, the end of a record is marked with a newline - but it's a unix newline, not a dos or windows newline. So 1) it doesn't start a newline in your editor, making it hard to see where one record stops and the next one starts, and 2) it doesn't even show (visible) in lots of fonts, on screen! When it does show, it's a square little box char.

To help with the passkey, you can break up the 32 characters, into groups of 5. That's a big help: 1a66f 200db etc., and then remove the spaces after you've double checked it.

Sorry about your lost wu.
Not your fault at all. Its these windows errors I get almost everytime I run the configuration. Apparently something on all my windows pc's cause the smp console client to give a windows error. Once I click out of the windows error the console client goes back to its original prompt and I have to start all over again which is one reason why typing the whole key by hand is a pain.
Sorry just blowing off frustration. I had forgotten how problematic this could be.

Really? I'm shocked! Are you a bit edgy on your overclock? FAH is sensitive about that.

If you use a applet like NoteTab light, you can easily edit the file without screwing it up.

@Adak: No I get the same error on pc's with no oc. I'm starting to wonder if its a WinXP thing or just something stupid I'm doing wrong.

@ChasR: Thanks I will remember that if I can manage to make it through the config without it blowing up. Unfortunately its too late to just edit it now.

Time for a look in event viewer and a reboot.

@Adak: No I get the same error on pc's with no oc. I'm starting to wonder if its a WinXP thing or just something stupid I'm doing wrong.

@ChasR: Thanks I will remember that if I can manage to make it through the config without it blowing up. Unfortunately its too late to just edit it now.

Time for a look in event viewer and a reboot.

I'm shocked! :shock:

We need to get this fixed. The folding clients have been stable in WinXP for quite awhile now.

What is this system, and what client are you using? Would you post the very first lines in the log file, right up to where it fails, in between code tags?

I'd like to read through them, see if I can see what's going on.

Back