• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me pick my first full tower for watercooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c.ruel

Registered
Ok I currently have a small cpu loop in my lian li mid tower. I want to do full on watercooling and include my two HD 5850s in the loop as well. My cpu is currently an old phenom II but I will upgrade to piledriver when that comes out. This presents my first question, namely how much radiator am I going to need to make sure I am future proofed? I feel a triple rad is probably too small so a triple and a double or a single quad is probably necessary right? I want a fulltower so i can have space for a largish amount of raddage, space for potentially two pumps for redunacy and good amount of maneovoruing space for HDDs and psu (mounting for SSDs would be good as well).

As for a brand I like lian li tick a lot of boxes for me and i can either use their own proprietary top cover to get a triple in the top of one of their full towers or buy a quad grill and get a quad in the top.

I like the a71f and it is within my budget ... good choice? I also like the look of the v2120x but it is very expensive and is for hptx and therefore probably unnecessary. I have lately heard some people say lian lis are over priced and are bad quality. This is the experience I have had with mine, is there a better choice out there I am NOT a fan of the looks of the 800D very boring?

Do you know if that Cubitek case will fit a radiator (2x120mm?) in the front?

It looks like the hard drive cage would be in the way. On the review it looks like he used a 120x3 or could have used a 140x2 easily with minor modifications on the top of the case fan rails. He also externally mounted a 140x1 on the back of the case.

I really like the design and flexibility of the switch 810. Plenty of room in there for 2 rads. Very good value for the money.

Not crazy about the exterior shiny plastic, but nothings perfect.

switch 810

Room to EASILY install a 360 at the top and 240 radiator in the bottom. With a little bit of effort you could add another two single 120 rads inside and hang another 360 off the back. Of course your back would break if you tried to lift all that...

Attachments

• switch computer.jpg
    switch computer.jpg
    854.5 KB · Views: 1,537
My 2 cents. I recently completed a full WC system. My initial plan was to complete the computer build, then a year or so do the water cooling but that didn't happen. Tired of seeing everyone's cool water cooling setup. The reason I say this is that there are case deals that come with some WC components already added. I did the math on one deal I came across and found I would have saved a few hundred dollars. So, look at some of the WC sites that are posted in forum stickies and you may also come across some good case/WC deals. I myself have a Cooler Master HAF X 942, which accommodates a 360 up top and I could have placed a 240 along the lower drive bays but hung it out the back instead.

:D its not boring to water cool it, for sure its not a case for air cooling only

The NZXT phantom is pretty fatty if your into that kinda scifi glossy pseudo futuristic styling. The CM 690-II will fit 4x140mm radiators with very minimal modification if your interested at all in a large mid tower(still a LOT smaller than a full tower). As you already mentioned any of the lain li cases should be satisfactory as well. You might look at the silverstone RV02 the 3x 180mm fans in the bottom provide alot of possibilities.

I'd suggest you take a look at the Xigmatek Elysium. Absolutely massive case that can accommodate a lot of radiator. Check out the link to my build log that I never finished (oops) in my sig to see what I did with mine. Not saying it's the best, but certainly a good candidate and will give you another option.

Touch bit expensive but i like my haf942. But for the really extreme systems you will need to mod the case to fit more rad. I currently run a 3x120.

CaseLabs Magnum M8... I have dual 360s installed with an easy 2-3 more if needed. Although I've said it before, this might be the last case i buy.

CaseLabs Magnum M8... I have dual 360s installed with an easy 2-3 more if needed. Although I've said it before, this might be the last case i buy.
put up some pics if you would please, and a link to the case would be sweet. I'm just trying to learn here and would really appreciate the favor.:thup
found it, sweet case man, now i want one.http://www.caselabs-store.com/magnum-m8-case/

Last edited:
Back