• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Odd CPUID Info??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PC4CAB

Guys,

I'm new to overclocking and just built a new PC. Curious about what CPUID is showing as the core speed on Core# 0. It's showing 1680.07 MHz (I should note, the last 2 numbers behind the decimal do flucuate a bit..)

I have an Intel Core i7 2600K at a stock speed of 3.4Ghz. Shouldn't that be showing as the core speed?

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2291816

Any ideas? I'm sure I'm looking at this wrong somehow, being new to all of this..

Cheers,
PC4CAB

The clock speed is at 1.68GHz (x16 core ratio x 105 BCLK) instead of the rated 3.4GHz (x34 core ratio x 100 BCLK) because power-saving options are enabled in the BIOS.

Why would you want to correct something that is completely useful?

That features let you save power. That is good. Less money to pay. Less wearing on the CPU.

Thanks, agree... I also did figure out the BIOS settings to correct. Thanks to all for the replies..

BTW, that does not make your processor slower. If your computer asks for more horsepower, your processor will deliver it. But, when your computer is just bored because you're just browsing the interwebz, it will throttle down so it can "go lazy" and consume less power.

Leave cpuid open and then run Prime95... you'll see the speed ramp right up.

Back