• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to get a GTX480 - Good deal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Laoag24

I'm going to get the GTX 480 for $209. Good Deal? Is it a wise choice? Since GTX 480 = GTX 570 Similar Performance. If I'll wait for the kepler I only have $200 and that would be the GTX 650 or 650 ti I guess?

I need advise from you geeks. Thank you :)

I'm going to get the GTX 480 for $209. Good Deal? Is it a wise choice? Since GTX 480 = GTX 570 Similar Performance. If I'll wait for the kepler I only have $200 and that would be the GTX 650 or 650 ti I guess?

I need advise from you geeks. Thank you :)

given you already have a 6970, I would advise waiting for kepler to come out and just spend $400 on that instead of down grading to a hot and power hungry card.

given you already have a 6970, I would advise waiting for kepler to come out and just spend $400 on that instead of down grading to a hot and power hungry card.

I have a dead 6970 man, plus I only have $200 to spend on video card. I am looking at price performance and I believe the gtx 480 is the best one at $200. Or am I wrong? Or should I wait for a kepler card to be released somewhat next month around $180-$220 that would out perform a gtx 480?

It would be unfortunate for you to spend money and then regret it, since the launch of Kepler is so close (if rumours are correct). I would expect April to have a decent $200 part.

OTOH, I wouldn't get a GTX480 since it so heavy on power consumption vs performance to begin with. I would rather find a 560ti or something like that if you absolutely must get something now.

It would be unfortunate for you to spend money and then regret it, since the launch of Kepler is so close (if rumours are correct). I would expect April to have a decent $200 part.

OTOH, I wouldn't get a GTX480 since it so heavy on power consumption vs performance to begin with. I would rather find a 560ti or something like that if you absolutely must get something now.

Do you think that card priced at <$220 would out perform a gtx 480 sir? Or just similar? I am not concerned about the heat & power consumption of the gtx 480, as long as it performs as its expected (GTX 570). Plus, is there a reason for myself to wait prolly about 3 more weeks for a <$220 kepler if it would only perform similarly to my gtx 480? Also, I'll get a gtx 560 ti 448 as you said I would add another $80 since I am only getting the gtx 480 for $209.

As it stands, nothing is official about kepler, other than it was used to show a game demo at GDC. Does this confirm an imminent release? I would say so. When will a $200 part be available? That is unknown for now.

If you want the GTX480, get it.. But no harm in waiting 2-3 weeks to find out right? And if Kepler releases this month, the 500 series might lower their prices too...

If heat production, power consumption, and noise are of absolutely no concern to you whatsoever, the GTX480 is a decent choice if you have a case with above average ventilation, particularly at that price point. The problem with waiting, as I see it, is that most manufacturers are currently dumping GTX480 parts if they haven't already. Once supply dries up, that deal won't exist.

Personally, I wouldn't get one even at that price point due to the issues listed above, but different people have different priorities. It'll be slightly slower than your 6970 was.

PS - this discussion probably should have taken place in its own thread instead of hijacking the Kepler rumors/news thread.

Hey Mr. Diaz rumor boy:argue:

Is there any rumors out there that a kepler card will be released in a week or two? :p

Looking back through the thread/links, you will notice that these sources are saying that there will be a high end card released at the end of this month (670 or 680), and then the midrange/entry will be released alongside in April.

Is this accurate? Well, sources are also saying that monday will be when the NDA lifts for the first Kepler GPU to be reviewed on websites. This is the earliest we could get any official info on Kepler. But then people are saying that this might be the date reviewers actually GET the cards and that the official launch will be the 23rd.

I personally would stay away from 480. I have a 470, and I want out of that, it is loud and runs at +90C constantly, sucks dust into my PC etc.. I'm waiting for Kepler to upgrade it :D

-D

it is loud and runs at +90C constantly, sucks dust into my PC etc.. I'm waiting for Kepler to upgrade it :D

-D

90c ? Good Grief why so much heat? Thermal compound dry?

I replace it with AS5 on my GPU at least once a year.

Do you think that card priced at <$220 would out perform a gtx 480 sir? Or just similar? I am not concerned about the heat & power consumption of the gtx 480, as long as it performs as its expected (GTX 570). Plus, is there a reason for myself to wait prolly about 3 more weeks for a <$220 kepler if it would only perform similarly to my gtx 480? Also, I'll get a gtx 560 ti 448 as you said I would add another $80 since I am only getting the gtx 480 for $209.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...47&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

There's a list of 560 Ti's available on Newegg, starting at $210. He never said anything about 448.

According to these guys the 570 is better: High-End GPU Benchmarks

They have the same specification, with a small difference in the core, shader and memory clocks (also the GTX480's memory bus being 384 bit Vs 320 bit for the 570) - the higher core and shader means that the GTX570 is slightly faster (the performance is in the same ballpark). They are the same clock for clock though, with the GTX570 running cooler and using less power.

Freak this . . Just got myself a GTX 480 :) I'll just do the step up program >:)

21209839.jpg
[/URL]

I just got one too ... and one for my friend :thup:
I have hope that I won't regret it but for games it's just perfect. At least in my beautiful country GTX570 cost 50% more than this GTX480 and performance is +/- the same. 870MHz core on stock cooler ( too hot to call it 24/7 setting :D ) ... http://3dmark.com/3dm11/2942397
Some mods in plans for next days.

I think gtx 480s for $209 is a great deal, and except for it's high power usage it is still a great card. i'll be surprised if anything comes out in the next couple months with that level of performance/dollar.

I think gtx 480s for $209 is a great deal, and except for it's high power usage it is still a great card. i'll be surprised if anything comes out in the next couple months with that level of performance/dollar.

Doubtful! The 480 was always held back in terms of sales because people didn't like its power consumption and high operating temperatures. Even if card makers dump 580 excess inventory at some point, I don't think they'll need to drop the price quite as low to get rid of them.

So yea, if the temps and power usage don't bother you, they're a great buy! Heck, for the price savings, throw a water block on things. Cool and quiet, but they'll still drink watts for lunch and effectively heat your office while gaming. :)

What I'd do is grab 2 GTX 560's (non-Ti). They are inexpensive and 2 of them will outperform a GTX 580! They are the same as the GTX 460 1GB except for higher default clocks. I have 2 GTX 460 1GBs in SLI and there isn't a game that I can't play with everything cranked up. Mind you I'm 'only' running at 1680x1050 but with 4xAA every game looks great! Just an idea.:drool:

Back