• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Switching from Windows Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jrdegaetano

Switching from Windows Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit

First time poster, long time reader. Usually I can find everything I need through some extensive "Google-ing" and forum surfing, but there's so much at stake for what I am attempting to do, and I can't afford to just utilize advice given to someone with a different set of circumstances, to end up experiencing anything short of complete success. So here we go.

I bought my Dell XPS 410 in 2007, and at that time I was using for very basic purposes. Here are the specs as of today (only changes made were to the GFX Card when the old one died, the RAM from 2gb to 4gb, and the use of my Audio Interface):

-Dell Dimension DXP061 (Purchased under the name "Dell XPS 410")
-Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 2.39 GHz (Number of processer cores: 4)
-4 GB Ram (PC2-5300 4X1GB Sticks with 4 total slots)
-288 GB Internal Hard Drive
-NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS (Stock GFX Card died, and I replaced it with this less than a year ago)
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit (64-bit capable/compatible)
-Single 22" Dell E228WFPC
-Behringer USB U-Control UCA200 Audio Interface (It is a miserable excuse for an Audio Interface, and I am going to be getting a better firewire Audio Interface)

Today, I use my PC for Music Production. Currently, I run Cubase 5, Reason 5, and Fruity Loops Producer simultaneously. This can be (for my computer) a task at times, and I am pretty limited in the amount of tracks I can run in one session. Once you throw in a few live audio recordings, the program crashes. Now I recognize that this can be attributed to a few things: 1) RAM, and 2) Audio Interface. About a year ago I upgraded the 2gb RAM my computer came with to 4gb. I saw a slight increase in efficiency, but not as much as I had hoped. After doing research, I found that Windows Vista 32-bit does not support the full 4gb of ram that I have installed. Also, I found out that my computer is quite capable of operating on a 64-bit OS. The audio interface I already know is the source of some other sound issues that I am having, but that's about it. Given all this new information, here are the things I would like to do and the questions associated with them:

1) Upgrade from Windows Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit (I recognize that this will have to be a clean install, removing all of the files and programs I have on the computer).
-Do I have to buy the full version of Windows 7 to do this, or can it be done just as well/easily in the upgrade version of the software?
-Will most of my 32-bit Music related programs and files function fine?
-Will files backed up externally from current 32-bit operating system be accessible in a 64-bit system?
-Since I have 4 slots for ram, after upgrading to 64-bit, could I go from 4gb to 6 or 8gb?

2) Replace current primary internal hard drive with larger one.
-Should I do this before I upgrade the OS, or after?

3) Utilize second monitor.
-I know that my current GFX Card and OS can support it, but would it be of ANY benefit/need for me to upgrade?

4) Install Firewire PCI Card
-Before or after OS upgrade?

If you've gotten this far, you are probably as exhausted as I am, but PLEASE HELP! This is so important and I can't afford to make any mistakes I can't reverse.

Thanks in advance!

1) Upgrade from Windows Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit (I recognize that this will have to be a clean install, removing all of the files and programs I have on the computer).
-Do I have to buy the full version of Windows 7 to do this, or can it be done just as well/easily in the upgrade version of the software?
-Will most of my 32-bit Music related programs and files function fine?
-Will files backed up externally from current 32-bit operating system be accessible in a 64-bit system?
-Since I have 4 slots for ram, after upgrading to 64-bit, could I go from 4gb to 6 or 8gb?

2) Replace current primary internal hard drive with larger one.
-Should I do this before I upgrade the OS, or after?

3) Utilize second monitor.
-I know that my current GFX Card and OS can support it, but would it be of ANY benefit/need for me to upgrade?

4) Install Firewire PCI Card
-Before or after OS upgrade?

1- An upgrade will work fine. However I'm a fan of back-up. If you're going to use an upgrade package ensure you have a back-up disk of the original Vista OS so that if something goes wrong you can revert back then upgrade again. I prefer just getting a full version even though it is more expensive. It allows you to restore whenever anything happens. Anything 32-bit should work in 64-bit. Any files backed up on another drive will work as well.

You can upgrade to 8GB anytime you want. You are correct however, to be able to utilize the extra memory you will need a 64-bit OS. Therefore I would recommend just upgrading in conjunction with the OS install.

2- Adding an HDD will not interfere whether you install before or after the OS upgrade unless you plan on loading the OS on the new HDD in which case add it prior. However you can always load the OS on the old HDD and just add the new one when convenient or even in conjunction.

3- A second monitor is more or less a preference. If you feel you would get better productivity from this setup then go for it. I'm more of a gamer so I enjoy using two monitors to game and do other things such as control music, or use the internet etc. It works for me.

4- Again when you install doesn't matter. Just know that if you install prior to the upgrade you'll just need to spend the extra time updating your drivers after the new OS is loaded as well. Other than that it does not matter.

Follow up ?'s

Thanks for the quick response! A few things:

1- An upgrade will work fine. However I'm a fan of back-up. If you're going to use an upgrade package ensure you have a back-up disk of the original Vista OS so that if something goes wrong you can revert back then upgrade again. I prefer just getting a full version even though it is more expensive. It allows you to restore whenever anything happens. Anything 32-bit should work in 64-bit. Any files backed up on another drive will work as well.

Upgrade does not let you restore like full version does?

2- Adding an HDD will not interfere whether you install before or after the OS upgrade unless you plan on loading the OS on the new HDD in which case add it prior. However you can always load the OS on the old HDD and just add the new one when convenient or even in conjunction.

This goes back to the previous point. You mentioned making sure I have a backup disk of vista...if I add the new and keep the old HD, couldn't the old HD be considered the backup disk, allowing me to just purchase the upgrade software?

An upgrade relies on a base OS being installed. If you were using an upgrade disc and something were to happen during the install process or even after and you had to start from scratch, you would not be able to without having Vista reinstalled first. With the full version you'd simply just reboot from the disc and begin the install again.

When you have two HDDs installed it does not matter how they are installed or which order they are. During the OS installation you will choose where you want the OS to be installed. If you want it on the newer larger drive then you will make it so. If you want it on the old one you will make it that way. If you only have one drive however and add another later on the OS will be on the original drive and you will merely have the extra drive for additional storage. If you absolutely want the new HDD to have the OS then wait to install a new OS until you have both drives installed. Then during the install/paritioning process ensure you have it selected to install on the new drive.

Back