• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

crash crash crash; new mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dtrunk

My mem:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233143

Timing is supposed to b 9-9-9-24-41-2t

So i've been having this issue with my video card and someone suggested I also checkout RAM clock, my OC, and stress testing. Originally when I ran my PhenII 925 up to 3.5ghz I ran a suite of burns and stress to assure the OC; everything seemed fine. At some point I changed the BIOS RAM clock from auto to 1333; previously it detects at 1066(bios) and runs the ram at 666(cpuz); by bumping it up to 1333(bios) my memory shows as 833(cpuz.) If I bump it to 1600(bios) then windows doesn't boot.

I'm crashing after 1-3 hours of BF3 play and having graphical anomalies. I'm replacing my gtx560ti via PNY but am wondering if the RAM clock has something to do with the crashing. At 833(cpuz) my system crashes after about 5 minutes of Prime95. At 666(cpuz) I've ran prime for about an hour with no issues, and noticed no crashing while gaming; though I haven't really been able to put in solid 3-5 hour gaming sprees lately.

I've memtest86 at 1333(bios) and 1033(bios) and both pass after about an hour.

In the bios I can not set the correct settings for all of the RAM timings and I'm thinking this is why I'm crashing while at 833(cpuz.) So the question is if I should get a better motherboard to allow me to fully set all of these settings. Previous to my biostar board I had several Gigabyte boards and never realized a bios could be so scattered and unable to set all settings. This is the board I was considering, though I'd take any suggestions you guys may have. At this point I'll drop the $150 to get a stable OC and running system.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128519

My voltages are: HT 1.212.; DDR 1.515; CPU 1.38; CPU-NB 1.2; NB 1.14

Here is some SSs. I also have them of my bios if you guys think you can offer some references there. The SPD info for slot #4 is the same except for the serial #.

Attachments

• mem666.jpg
    mem666.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 77
  • mem833.jpg
    mem833.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 78
  • spd.jpg
    spd.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Can you show the CPU-z "CPU" tab? We're missing some important information, particularly about your HT Link frequency.

Also, at 833 mhz you're running your memory at a frequency which exceeds what it's rated for. When CPU-z reports memory frequency it reports it in terms of DDR underlying bus speed, not the DDRx data transfer rate which will be twice the bus speed. So, your ram is currently running at 1666 mhz.

Also, your timings are too aggressive for the tRC and the CR. I've circled them for you. You need to cut back a little on your HT Reference (aka, fsb and CPU frequency) to bring the ram frequency back to 1600 and then you need to manually adjust the timings for those two items mentioned. To manually adjust timings you need to take the main timing header off "Auto" and then take the individual timings off Auto. Don't change the ones that show up in bios but don't appear in CPU-z, leave them on Auto but manually set the 6 that appear in CPU-z.

I would also bump your CPUNB voltage up to 1.225-1.25 and bump your memory voltage up to 1.5.

TY for replies. The mem voltage is at 1.515; i can try bumping up the cpunb voltage.

I know i'm running it a little faster than 1600; however, i assume the timing is the issue that is causing instability. I can NOT change any of the settings in my bios besides DDR-(800, 1066, 1333, 1600) and that's why I'm wondering if it worth $100-$150 to invest in a board that allows me to modify all of the necessary settings. My old gigabyte boards had settings galore that I could adjust.

Edit: the bios does have some settings, but none are timing related; all of the timing is set once I select the DDR-####. There is a DRAM Timing Mode, options (auto, DT1, DT0, both,) it is set to auto. I can add SSs if you please. but I've looked all over and can't find anywhere to set actual timing #s.

:)

Attachments

• cpuz.jpg
    cpuz.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Sometimes the memory timings are hidden from view under a main timing header that is set to Auto. When you take it off auto then the individual adjustments appear. If this ability is indeed missing altogether, however, I would sure get a better board.

Under the Performance menu--> DRAM Timing Configuration, change the following...

Code:
Memory Clock Mode: Manual
Memclock Value: DDR3-1600
DRAM Timing Mode: Manual
CAS Latency (tCL): 9
RAS/CAS Delay (tRCD): 9
Row Precharge Time (tRP): 9
Min Active RAS (tRAS): 24
Command Rate (CR): 2T / 2N

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 67
yes yes... i found the settings. running a mix of stability test and I've just been stupid busy in my personal life. Seems that the trick has been bumping the NB VID (CPU NB voltage) up to 1.25 which actually runs the voltage at 1.27. I'll post some updates when I find stability.

One question... in addition to the normal 6 ddr timings (within aida64) I also found some other settings (5) that I can set myself. I currently have them set, and it seems fine. I can't see anywhere that it shows me current trfc,tcr,trdr,twr,trtr,twtr settings when in auto. so is it best to set everything known or just the normal 6?

edit: ohh, and it actually under DRAM Timing Mode; options Auto, DCT0, DCT1, Both; with both selected I then get about 12 settings for each bank of RAM. I've set all possible settings according to the ddr800 settings found in aida64.

edit3: changing ddr voltage from 1.51 to 1.55 crashes prime95 (tried at 3 dif settings, but no at no OC)

edit2: and i jumped my nb freq up to 2500. cool??

Last edited:
still playing with this, up to 1hr prime95 b4 crashing, no crashes in windows/gaming (so far; still haven't gotten in a few solid hours of BF3.)

thoughts on max 24/7 cpu-nb voltage? I'm currently at 1.308v. cpu voltage still at 1.38. ram doesn't like any more voltage than the 1.51. is the HT Freq at 2500 helping or hurting me, should i down clock that to 2250?

I messed around with the memory timing, voltage, and cpu nb voltage (called NB VID in my case); and nothing helped. Past 1600 the memory just wasn't having it during stress test and gaming. current memory timing is on auto and approaching 1600 from behind is the new thought. :)

So here is my current clock. voltages/temps (everything) is accurate in my signature. I want to push the fsb up another 10, but can't find stability past 277'ish. the cpunb voltage seemed to help the most, but i'm not sure what the "safe" limit is?? should I up any other voltages or "safe" limits?? mayb bump up the NB Freq?

Any input would be appreciated. you guys have been AMAZING with all the info and help. :attn:

Attachments

• cpuzOC1.jpg
    cpuzOC1.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 49
  • mem720.jpg
    mem720.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 53
Don't expect a Deneb PII to do 1600 stable. Some will but a lot won't. The Thubans have a stouter integrated memory controller, however, and will generally do memory at 1600 no problem.

Back