• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Intel cpu for guaranteed 5+ Ghz OC on H2O

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jpinard

I've been out of the loop forever and am upgrading my computer and my current beast is going to my Mom. I'm currently run an i7 920 @4.3 GHz and to justify this upgrade project I need to hit at least 5 GHz on the new processor to run Arma2/3 with massive army numbers, and for all my other games that I run on insane detail.

I plan on using the Corsair Hydro H100 and am building my own case from scratch for max cooling potential... possibly even running a vent to/through my ceiling and out the roof to keep hot air from building in my room.
Thanks for the help!

I've been out of the loop forever and am upgrading my computer and my current beast is going to my Mom. I'm currently run an i7 920 @4.3 GHz and to justify this upgrade project I need to hit at least 5 GHz on the new processor to run Arma2/3 with massive army numbers, and for all my other games that I run on insane detail.

I plan on using the Corsair Hydro H100 and am building my own case from scratch for max cooling potential... possibly even running a vent to/through my ceiling and out the roof to keep hot air from building in my room.
Thanks for the help!

No such thing as a guarantee but the best bet is a SB 2XXXK model.

No such thing as a guarantee but the best bet is a SB 2XXXK model.

So you're saying "any" Sandry bridge will work about the same? 2500k, 2600k, 2700k? They are identical except speed bump?

What about i7 3820?

2600K and 2700K are identical, the 2500K has a bit less cache and no hyperthreading, making it an i5.

The 3820 is a slightly different architecture, it's Sandy Bridge-E, the more expensive variant.

There isn't any way you can "guarantee" a 5.0GHz OC.

2500/2600/2700K can make 5GHz but more like gaming stable, not F@H/BOINC 24/7 stable. Adding some chip degradation I wouldn't count on 5GHz for longer. 95% SB won't make 5GHz fully stable on standard air/water cooling and other 5% users are really lucky.
Most games won't even use 5GHz cpu as most depends from gfx ( you can check which games are running @100% cpu load all the time ).

I know I can't guarantee a 5 GHz OC, just was looking for the best cpu + mobo to get as close to that as possible for gaming.

I'm torn between going with the Sandy Bridge normal or the 3820 - as the 3820 has more L3 cache and bypasses some features in favor of brute force. Plus the accommpanying mohterboards are a bit more advanced and the system has more bandwidth. But I can't find much data on OC results and how it affects a heavy CPU loaded game.

Also, is it possible the 2700k's are a bit better because they're freshly manufactured - maybe incorprorating some new process or refinement?

Ivy Bridge appears to be on the horizon as well (end of next month) - I'd be wary about spending big cash on SB-E at the moment, unless you need the six cores.

Ivy Bridge appears to be on the horizon as well (end of next month) - I'd be wary about spending big cash on SB-E at the moment, unless you need the six cores.

Is there a motherboard that will some kind of current-gen Sandybridge and also the Ivy bridge? If so, I'll just buy a super cheap cpu until Ivy Bridge comes out and have a great mobo/RAM while I wait. Unfortunately I have to buy something now.

There isnt one to be quite honest. 5Ghz isnt NORMALLY a 24/7 type of overclock. It depends on the chip and the voltage it needs to get there.

That said, a 2600k/2700k seems to reach that point more frequently than the 2500k (though it is fairly rare either way).

Ivybridge though has more of that potential from what little I have seen about it.

Is there a motherboard that will some kind of current-gen Sandybridge and also the Ivy bridge? If so, I'll just buy a super cheap cpu until Ivy Bridge comes out and have a great mobo/RAM while I wait. Unfortunately I have to buy something now.
Z68 chipsets will support Ivybridge. Just make sure the bios is updated when you get it.

There are a couple serious threads out on the internet where people “who know” say ivory bridge isn’t going to bring substantial gains in 24/7 clock frequency. They say the new 3d tri-gate Intel is incorporating makes IB scale “with cold, not volts”. While the clock Vs. clock performance (Vs. Sandy) is great and the top-end, while really cold is great, it might not be giving us much higher clocks on AIR cooling. Who knows though, only time will tell.

There are a couple serious threads out on the internet where people “who know” say ivory bridge isn’t going to bring substantial gains in 24/7 clock frequency. They say the new 3d tri-gate Intel is incorporating makes IB scale “with cold, not volts”. While the clock Vs. clock performance (Vs. Sandy) is great and the top-end, while really cold is great, it might not be giving us much higher clocks on AIR cooling. Who knows though, only time will tell.

Its not a rumor its been proven fact. Somone just got a recent ES that was not under NDA and did extestinsive testing with it on XS.org; it clocked worse and ran substantially hotter than SB. Your best bet is 2700K hands down or a SB-E. Ivy bridge wont do 5ghz on traditional cooling, since that ES was reviewed on XS several sources with other ES chips have confirmed the findings.

I'd rather have an IB at less than 5GHz that performs better than a SB at 5GHz...

I'd rather have an IB at less than 5GHz that performs better than a SB at 5GHz...

You obviously didn't see the load temps; I would much rather have SB. Guy in question had a TRUE and was seeing 90C* load temps on 1.3v @ 4.7; another had an H100 and had almost 100C* with aprox 1.4v @ 5ghz bench. Comparitively speaking on his 2600K his load temps were around 65C* so IB is a good 15-20c* higher on load than SB.

Its not a rumor its been proven fact. Somone just got a recent ES that was not under NDA and did extestinsive testing with it on XS.org; it clocked worse and ran substantially hotter than SB. Your best bet is 2700K hands down or a SB-E. Ivy bridge wont do 5ghz on traditional cooling, since that ES was reviewed on XS several sources with other ES chips have confirmed the findings.
How do you get IB NOT under NDA? :screwy:

+1. I dont care about temps... Im not on air, but custom 5x120mm water. Bet I can get 5Ghz IB on that? :p :thup:

the guy said his "Boss" just dropped it on his desk one day. :?

My boss just dropped Kepler on my desk.... :rofl:

No seriously!

He had pics of both the installed machine, the ES itself as well as CPUZ validated shots of it; so it was legit. I cant seem to find the thread anymore it appears to have been deleted.

I think i found the google cache link:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...today./page3+3700k+dropped+on+my+desk&ct=clnk

Back