• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to overclock my 6950 to 6970 speed but not sure about the voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pk7677

Whats the voltage should be? Same as a 6970? My current voltage is 1110, I was running heaven benchmark with 11105 and my card crashed so I bumped up 5 volts. I also heard from people that they didn't even need to touch voltage to get stable 6970 speed. Any advice for a newbie?

Whats the voltage should be? Same as a 6970? My current voltage is 1110, I was running heaven benchmark with 11105 and my card crashed so I bumped up 5 volts. I also heard from people that they didn't even need to touch voltage to get stable 6970 speed. Any advice for a newbie?

What speeds are you core/memory clocks at on your 6950 at stock?
My 6970 has stock clocks of 880Mhz core, 1375Mhz memory.

To overclock,
Start with everything set to default.
Set the "Power control settings" to +20%.
First find the max stable core clock by increasing it 10Mhz at a time, and then testing for stability. (You can run benchmarks, or just try playing the games you play the most).
Once it crashes, lower the speed back down to where it was previously stable.

Repeat for the memory/RAM.

Once you find the max for both, you can leave it there if you are happy or increase the voltage a little bit and try to get them a little higher.

What are you using to overclock?

Best advice is that it will vary and you need to test it yourself. 10Mhz is awfully tiny jumps though... it would take forever with that method.

What speeds are you core/memory clocks at on your 6950 at stock?
My 6970 has stock clocks of 880Mhz core, 1375Mhz memory.

To overclock,
Start with everything set to default.
Set the "Power control settings" to +20%.
First find the max stable core clock by increasing it 10Mhz at a time, and then testing for stability. (You can run benchmarks, or just try playing the games you play the most).
Once it crashes, lower the speed back down to where it was previously stable.

Repeat for the memory/RAM.

Once you find the max for both, you can leave it there if you are happy or increase the voltage a little bit and try to get them a little higher.

What are you using to overclock?

The default stock for a 6950 is 800/1250, its currently overclocked @ 880/1375, set the voltage to 1.110, after 10 mins of furmark it crashed, my screen turned black while everything else was running. I don't think its the overclocking that caused this problem, had this problem before too when it was running stock speed.

1.175v on my sapphire Toxic under full load for 6970 speeds and higher.

I run furmark again for 10 mins, 6970 speed 880/1375/1.110v 100% under load, max temp 72c fan speed @60% no graphical error no crashes. I'm surprised how much difference there is when each card benchmarks.

Best advice is that it will vary and you need to test it yourself. 10Mhz is awfully tiny jumps though... it would take forever with that method.

Yeah, sorry 10Mhz would take a long time...I guess do higher increments and when it crashes, lower it a little bit until it works.

I run furmark again for 10 mins, 6970 speed 880/1375/1.110v 100% under load, max temp 72c fan speed @60% no graphical error no crashes. I'm surprised how much difference there is when each card benchmarks.

I personally don't run furmark for stability....If the games I play don't crash then it's stable enough for me for 24/7 use....(Or if the benchmarks don't crash when I'm benching :D)

I have an eyefinity setup so pretty much any game I play maxes out the GPU so if it's not stable, it'll crash.

I'm not sure what you're using to overclock, but make sure the power control setting is all the way up (In the latest afterburner, click settings and it'll be at the bottom of the pop-up window). I'm guessing your using Trix or afterburner since you can adjust the voltage.

So, try leaving your overclock where it is while you game for a few hours and see if it holds up.

Yeah, sorry 10Mhz would take a long time...I guess do higher increments and when it crashes, lower it a little bit until it works.

I personally don't run furmark for stability....If the games I play don't crash then it's stable enough for me for 24/7 use....(Or if the benchmarks don't crash when I'm benching :D)

I have an eyefinity setup so pretty much any game I play maxes out the GPU so if it's not stable, it'll crash.

I'm not sure what you're using to overclock, but make sure the power control setting is all the way up (In the latest afterburner, click settings and it'll be at the bottom of the pop-up window). I'm guessing your using Trix or afterburner since you can adjust the voltage.

So, try leaving your overclock where it is while you game for a few hours and see if it holds up.

Yes I'm using trixx, and so far everything is good, played BF3 last night for couple hours with no problem.

Back