• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual channel issues(2GB not recognized)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drinkyoghurt

Haven't visited the forums in a while, but my rig was running fine so I saw no need( I know, bad excuse).

Recently I started noticing everything bogging down and becoming very slow. BF3 would have insane stutter and would be impossible to play. Accidently, this all started after an Origin update from EA, so I blamed that update.

However, last time I had my task manager opened, I saw I only had 2GB of RAM, but after checking they were both firmly in their slots, it still only showed one stick.

Now here's the weird part.

A SINGLE stick (2GB, doesn't matter which) will work in all slots( 1,2,3,4). However, if I put in 2 sticks of in slot 1 and 3 to make it run dual channel, it only recognizes slot 3.

If I put the sticks in slot 2 and 4, it works just fine and shows up 4GB of RAM.

The weird thing is though, the stick in slot 1 gets warm as if it was functioning normally, but it doesn't show up.

I'm leaning heavily towards RMA'ing the mobo, but I want to be sure first.

maybe try a bios flash first... that's a stretch though. I would also lean towards an RMA.

You could always go 2x4 or 2x8 but the idea of having a slot that I know doesn't work bothers me. I'd RMA it. Only problem is you'll be without this particular system for a while.

Well, I've worked at that store a few years back and the person handling the RMA's knows me( I used to assemble systems and troubleshoot them), so I think it wouldn't be too hard to work something out.

I think this was the reason for my BSOD's as well(very random, wasn't my CPU, HDD or RAM after severe testing, couldn't figure it out even though it was hardware related).

Back