• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New INTEL Build DVD-RW Drive Keeps Disappearing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I have the system below and from time to time the Intel Rapid Storage Tech program loads with a blue circle then has a green tick but sometimes my DVD-RW loads and then dosn't. I plugged it into a SATA-300 port I am wondering if there's an issue with it it was working all fine before I installed Win7 on it etc just now it goes and comes back.

:confused: I have ordered a new drive as this is 4 years old but I am baffled as to why it's now doing it :confused:

Did you try switching ports?

Yeah I have just switched to a SATA 2 port see how that goes I'll see what happens over the week I did also have burning issues I used Ashampoo Burning Studio 10 and did a format of a DVD-RW for some reason the PC would not see it and when finally it did I couldn't burn to it and it was practically new and only has been burned to 3 times.

Well I changed the port but it now keeps removing it's self I just got a message from windows saying "THE DEVICE DRIVER FAILED TO INSTALL" and then 4 mins later it comes back there's power to the device and the SATA cables are new with the board which I've had not even a week.

Do you have another drive of any type to try on those ports and see if it exhibits the same behavior?

If it still shows the same behavior, then try switching cables out and ports again...

Right before I try another drive I removed the INTEL Rapid Storage Driver I then shut down the PC and went inside to change the SATA power connector with another and moved the SATA connector to another port. I am going to see if it will remove itself again without the rapid storage driver currently I'm using the Microsoft standard one there's doesn't seem to be any difference in performance.

EDIT: Has to be the drive itself I have changed the port and change the power connector and removed driver as stated I was just burning 3GB worth of photos and now the drive lost power completely so it's got to be that everything else is fine card reader etc surly my 550w cant be on it's way out. Will try another drive to be sure before I buy a new one

Last edited:
Right before I try another drive I removed the INTEL Rapid Storage Driver I then shut down the PC and went inside to change the SATA power connector with another and moved the SATA connector to another port. I am going to see if it will remove itself again without the rapid storage driver currently I'm using the Microsoft standard one there's doesn't seem to be any difference in performance.

EDIT: Has to be the drive itself I have changed the port and change the power connector and removed driver as stated I was just burning 3GB worth of photos and now the drive lost power completely so it's got to be that everything else is fine card reader etc surly my 550w cant be on it's way out. Will try another drive to be sure before I buy a new one

i was going to say i had issues with my drive being recognised when i built my 2700k rig, well it was being picked up as a CD drive and the power kept dropping off it etc ( at least thats what it seemed like, rather when i put a dvd in it would kinda just stop spiing after a while and get confused)

I think i solved it by changing my sata settings in bios ( it was set to IDE or something.) maybe have a mess about with the bios settings of the sata ports and see if that helps.

Hope you figure it out.

i was going to say i had issues with my drive being recognised when i built my 2700k rig, well it was being picked up as a CD drive and the power kept dropping off it etc ( at least thats what it seemed like, rather when i put a dvd in it would kinda just stop spiing after a while and get confused)

I think i solved it by changing my sata settings in bios ( it was set to IDE or something.) maybe have a mess about with the bios settings of the sata ports and see if that helps.

Hope you figure it out.

If I try to burn anything or even if I am not using the drive at all I can here that sound play when you plug/un plug a USB drive and low and behold it's the DVD-RW, I even lowered my memory clock as I couldn't remember if it happend before but its still doing it. I'll order a new one next week hopefully it is the drive this board doesn't have any IDE ports and the spare drives I have are IDE.

Now after having issues before stablilizing the board at 1866mhz if I reset it back to that speed and back to the correct VTT/DRAM voltages it wont even POST now, And it will now burn to DVD's because it wont seem to now stay at the settings I did to maike my RAM stable at 1866mhz I just set my RAM to 1.60v at 1333mhz and set VTT to auto now it's working my DVD drive.

I cant take this board's crap anymore?????

I'm gonna have to contact overclockers get them to send me a new one because this board is stuffed, I've nothing but trouble from it since day 1

Last edited:
Back