• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7970 overclocking NEED HELP PLZ! ty :D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ambizro

Registered
ok so i just bought this thing new today. i been playing with clocks and such I am not new to overclocking but I am seeing some reactions here that I can't explain.

first why is it that my card with 1200 core and stock memory is not much different then 1200 core with 1600 mem???

i would think i would see a big gain for that boost in oc. but its not working that way.

second, the card at 1.15 or 1.125 can get stable but to push it to 1.25 or 1.3 with same clocks or even stock clocks won't run just goes to black screen like insta.

normally i understanded that raising the voltage INCREASES stability and again I am seeing the opposite. could it be my card just doesn't like to run with that high voltage? is that a bad thing?

third and final thing. I notice with 1200 core and playing with 1550 or more on memory with 1.5 volts the core clocks stutter / jump around according to msi afterburner chart but with no memory overclock and 1200 core its a solid 1200 on the core all the time.

is the jumpy / stutter in core because of instability?

and suggestions how to reach 1200/1600 or should i just run a solid 1200 with stock memory. will in game fps be much different cuz in furmark its like 1-2 fps off stock mem vs oc mem

help is lovely thanks yous.

ok so i just bought this thing new today. i been playing with clocks and such I am not new to overclocking but I am seeing some reactions here that I can't explain.

first why is it that my card with 1200 core and stock memory is not much different then 1200 core with 1600 mem???

i would think i would see a big gain for that boost in oc. but its not working that way.

second, the card at 1.15 or 1.125 can get stable but to push it to 1.25 or 1.3 with same clocks or even stock clocks won't run just goes to black screen like insta.

normally i understanded that raising the voltage INCREASES stability and again I am seeing the opposite. could it be my card just doesn't like to run with that high voltage? is that a bad thing?

third and final thing. I notice with 1200 core and playing with 1550 or more on memory with 1.5 volts the core clocks stutter / jump around according to msi afterburner chart but with no memory overclock and 1200 core its a solid 1200 on the core all the time.

is the jumpy / stutter in core because of instability?

and suggestions how to reach 1200/1600 or should i just run a solid 1200 with stock memory. will in game fps be much different cuz in furmark its like 1-2 fps off stock mem vs oc mem

help is lovely thanks yous.

What setting is the cards bios switch on? Position 2 is what you want for a stable overclock, then adjust vcore/core speed/mem speed via Afterburner or TRIXX.

Core increase= fps increase
Memory increase= not usually helpful on fps but helps texture heavy games get more fps

What setting is the cards bios switch on? Position 2 is what you want for a stable overclock, then adjust vcore/core speed/mem speed via Afterburner or TRIXX.

Core increase= fps increase
Memory increase= not usually helpful on fps but helps texture heavy games get more fps

Position 2 on the biosswitch for stable oc? Which position is the default one when you buy the card?

Why is pos 2 best?

Position 2 on the biosswitch for stable oc? Which position is the default one when you buy the card?

Why is pos 2 best?

It adds core + memory speed. You will be at 1000 Mhz core and 1450 Mhz memory, it also makes oc's more stable.

But you should use Afterburner or Sapphire's TRIXX utility so you can add a bit of voltage to the core so you are even more stable overclocked.

Cards ship with bios switch in position 1. Not exactly sure if EVERY 7970 has a bios switch. I know the Sapphire 7970 OC card has the dual bios for sure.

It adds core + memory speed. You will be at 1000 Mhz core and 1450 Mhz memory, it also makes oc's more stable.

But you should use Afterburner or Sapphire's TRIXX utility so you can add a bit of voltage to the core so you are even more stable overclocked.

Cards ship with bios switch in position 1. Not exactly sure if EVERY 7970 has a bios switch. I know the Sapphire 7970 OC card has the dual bios for sure.

It doesn't change the default clocks on my card :S Its an asus 7970

Didn't you read any 7970 reviews before you bought one?

I'd return the Asus for a Sapphire 7970 OC Edition. Sapphire will clock higher AND run cooler.

"the only difference between the ati xxxx brands are the coolers and the warranties"

That is written all over the internet ^^
Its prob different now when there are modified pcb's but there where only reference ones when I bought mine =)

Btw my card is a great overclocker (1200/1800:ish), scored above 10k in 3dmark 11 not using drivers that cheated with tessellation but I dont like the idea of having a third part program running in order to keep clocks above ccc max limits =(

"the only difference between the ati xxxx brands are the coolers and the warranties"

That is written all over the internet ^^
Its prob different now when there are modified pcb's but there where only reference ones when I bought mine =)

Btw my card is a great overclocker (1200/1800:ish), scored above 10k in 3dmark 11 not using drivers that cheated with tessellation but I dont like the idea of having a third part program running in order to keep clocks above ccc max limits =(

Cooler temps + higher overclocks make a difference. Asus cards may oc as high but the temps will be hotter in doing so.

Sapphire's warranty service kinda blows I hear, so warranty makes up the mind for lots of people. If I had a problem I'd return it thru Newegg.....but they don't treat everybody the same either...if u spend a lot with them they are gold.

I actually have the exact thing going on with my card right now. When I run furmark with higher voltages, my computer will shut off and the power light will flash and I have to unplug the pc and restart. I have it at 1130/1600 at 1.125 volts. When I go up with the volts, that's when I have problems.

Back