• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CHEAP gaming build help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sephiroth_749

Top ranking SOLDIER officer
ive been out of the loop for a while and was wondering if someone could steer me in the right direction on building a microatx system that can do so decent gaming like starcraft 2 and have the ablity to play hd movies for as cheap as possible

cheap as possible mATX, i'd go with AMD. I just built one for my friend.

used:
Athalon X3 450 unlocked to 4 cores at 3.2ghz @ 1.325v Reads as phenom B450
ASUS M5A78L-M LX
4gb ram
radeon 6570
PSU/case came together for like 50 bucks
harddrive

Things i'd change:
1. Get a 6850, that will run SC2 no problem.
2. Get a better PSU. OCZ is great and cheap.

ive been out of the loop for a while and was wondering if someone could steer me in the right direction on building a microatx system that can do so decent gaming like starcraft 2 and have the ablity to play hd movies for as cheap as possible

At what res are you planning to play SC2? $300 for a cpu/mobo/psu/gpu? More details on what you need exactly would help. Need a MicroATX case also?

I don't think $300 is enough, imho.

If u have any old bits kicking about it would be useful, HDD's, DVD drives etc. I would say pick up a second hand newhelm combo on ebay. ( ram mobo and CPU you can probs nab for $150 or something if you get lucky. But $300 is pushing ti for a gaming rig. you wont get much for that money. Tbh only a browsing machine for that price.

No idea how it will handle SC2 but for that sort of budget you may want to look at AMD's APUs, that should keep cost down considerably over getting a separate CPU and GPU...provided they can even run SC2.

Back