• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cant remove a program

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slynutcase

i let a friend use my computer and they ended up putting a program called "1clickdownloader" onto it, im verry annoyed with them and cant remove it, i dont trust it one bit and its winding me up something chronic, anyone got ideas of how to remove this horrible program? it wont budge from my computer when using windows uninstaller?

how do you do that? i cant find where the program installed, and my friend cant tell me as he wasnt paying attention. (hes not a very pc friendly person if you get what i mean)

A simpler approach would be to do a system restore to an earlier date. That will return the registry to an earlier state before the offending program was installed. Don't worry, it won't delete any data files or emails, just program registry files that were installed subsequent to that restore date. If it deletes any program files you yourself installed after that date all you have to do is reinstall the programs and they will be able to use the data files that remain. For instance, if the system restore deletes Word you can reinstall Word. The .doc or .docx files you created with Word will not be harmed. Just to make sure though, back up the data files you want. Also deleted would be any Windows updates subsequent to the restore date but you can always download those again.

I got impatient and fed up, tried the system restore but it told me there wasn't a restore point, so I have jus done a fresh install, it was due one in a couple of months anyway as I do it about every 6 months, not really too big a problem but probably overkill for what annoyed me, only a few games and such on it anyway, thanks for the idea's, I'm not letting that person on my computer again without supervision lol!

Better yet create a user account on your PC and make other people use it. User level accounts cant effect the main system(mostly).

Also 1ClickDownloader is a BitTorrent wrapper. It basically allows downloading of 1 specific torrent file and some reputable companies do use it although not many.

TBH its actually better to just use a user account yourself. You have the admin password so anytime you actually need admin rights you can have them, and prevent alot of malicious software from being able to bother you.

I am very surprised that nobody has mentioned Revo Uninstaller yet..

Ever since I discovered that, I have NEVER used Windows Uninstaller...

It just makes me feel bad that I know that I've left SOMETHING behind...

Revo Uninstaller < --- Fire dat ish up and uninstall dat ish!

Ill look into that if I need to uninstall something stubborn again but for now I should be ok with my shiny fresh install lol.

Another good program for deep threaded files is known as Revo uninstaller, can be found at www.majorgeeks.com It's very in depth and I use it for routine installs as well as the stubborn buggers.

My apologies Mango, absolutely did not see your post haha, glad that we both had the same impression though I suppose.

Last edited:
Lolz.
Every time I boot, I'm using a user account, never ever the Admin account unless I'm doing something system level to my poor computer like editing the hosts file or something.
I have a guest account set up from day one, and other people (including my kids) get to use that one. That way I am the only one with install privileges.
It helps keep the script kiddies out too.

Back