• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Peltier Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arch5

I am looking for a new pelt that will satisfy my p4 CPU and also meet the requirements of my Pelt Power Supply.

If the Pelts Specs are this:

DRIFT-0.8 Amps11.3 Watts172.0 Volts24.6 Delta 69
Dimensions 40x40x3.2

Then will my Power supply that will put out 14V-16Vmax and handle up to 32Amps be able to provide enough power to satisfy that pelt?

The 24v rating, I believe is the Max voltage rating. However, I think these pelts run should be running at least 18v. If you can only get 16v you may be a little on the low side.

You probably don't need such a powerful pelt for a P4. I would think a 152w would be plenty or even the 80w (I believe the TEC 80w pelts are 40mmx40mm and the 152w are 48mmx48mm). I believe these are rated at 16v (or so) and your power supply could easily handle one of these with that amperage rating.

Well, If I want my 1.8 to run at 2.6 I'll need to use a vCore of 1.85. Following this formula that Kato showed me, my processors output in Watts would be 109W. If I follow the guideline that a pelt should be 1.5 to 2 times as powerful as the load your placing it on I would need at least a 165W pelt.

Po=Ps*(Fo/Fs)*(Uo^2/Us^2)

Ps is the power usage of the non-overclocked CPU = 49.6W
Po is the power usage of the overclocked CPU = unknown
Fs is the clock speed of the non-overclocked CPU = 1.8Ghz
Fo is the clock speed of the overclocked CPU = 2.6Ghz
Us is the default voltage of the non-overclocked CPU = 1.5V
Uo is the voltage at which the overclocked CPU runs = 1.85V

Po=49.6(2.6/1.8)(1.85^2/1.5^2)
Po=49.6(1.44)(1.52)
Po=108.6~109W

I was using an 80W pelt and at Idle my temps were great but when it was at full load it couldnt handle it. The difference between idle and load temp was around 25*C. I have since removed the pelt and am only using the fridge for cooling. Now my temps are higher, but the delta between idle and load temps is around 6*C. That's much better.

You might be able to use the 156 watt, 15.8 volt pelt on your system with your 16 volt psu. It might work real well with the mini-fridge cooling the water in your cooling loop. If you do decide to go with a different psu, the Meanwell SP300-24 is powerful enough for a 172 watt pelt and it well made and fairly compact, around 5 X 10 inches.

Solution just get a 226 watt peltier from swiftech. The 226 runs at less voltage but more amperage 16.1v 24 amps so your power supply will be fine. If your power supply is adjustable you can dial in the ideal voltage which will be around 12-13v for that pelt. I really want a 226 for my athlon and P4 but its very tough to power especially on a budget.

That 226W pelt is exactly what I need except that its dimensions are 50mmX50mm. I have the DD Maze1C block though and that pelt will not fit :( Is there a pelt in the 156w-226w range that is 40mmX40mm? I am however very impressed with their new waterblock with peltier kit. It looks very nice and when the P4 version is released later this month I just might have to pick one up if there are no other alternatives.

I guess I could get the 226 and just rotate it so it fits in-between my mounting bolts. There would be a little overhang and I would just have to insulate it pretty well. Would that work?

Thanks
Arch5

I just realized that the fittings on the swiftech block are for 3/8" Outside Diameter hoses. Well that's out. Looks like I'll be ordering the DD Maze2 P4 block. And the 226W pelt from swiftech.

Back