• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Faulty SSD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SMOKEU

I recently got a new motherboard after my old one died, so I put the SSD in (which is in my signature), and I installed Windows 7 and the motherboard drivers. The OS and driver installation was successful, but after that, the computer kept restarting randomly and then displaying the black screen telling me that it had an unexpected shutdown and asking me what I want to do, like boot into Windows normally etc (it has never given me a BSOD). The computer won't run for more than 10 minutes without restarting.

I formatted the drive again and installed the OS and motherboard drivers again from the same discs, and had the same problem.

I formatted the drive again and installed Linux Mint on it and it worked 100% fine. No restarts, no problems.

I put a HDD in the computer and installed Windows 7 and motherboard drivers off the same discs, and it works fine.

Why does it work perfectly fine with Linux Mint, but not Windows 7? Keep in mind I installed EXACTLY the same OS and drivers off the same disc each time.

a fualty drive of anykind wouldnt do something like that... it would be either ram related as Rgone pointed out or possible cpu problems. i am with Rgone on this one though, i have had that happen many times on ram on its way out.

I'm running Memtest86+ 4.20 at the moment, I'll let you know how it goes when I get home in a few hours.

I have tested each stick individually with Memtest 86+ for at least 5 hours with no errors. It only gives errors when I'm running both sticks at the same time.

not enough voltage maybe or too much voltage/voltage skew? ... check your voltages. I know my ASUS board has randomly set my DDR voltage to 2.05v before after setting it to auto. This extreme voltage bump caused Win 7 not to boot.

I am pretty impressed that linux mint can boot and operate :cool: but windows cant:fight:

I am pretty impressed that linux mint can boot and operate :cool: but windows cant:fight:

Windows 7 runs fine when it's installed onto a HDD. It only gives problems when it's installed on a SSD.

I fixed the RAM issue by flashing the motherboard BIOS to the latest version. Both sticks are stable for over 8 consecutive hours running Memtest86+ 4.20. I'm still having the same problem with Windows 7. It keeps restarting every few minutes when it's installed on the SSD.

I assume you've reinstalled Win7 after loading new BIOS?
Memory problem could've caused the data to be written to the drive incorrectly.

my only suggestion, is to find a program that can read the SMART data on the ssd. that way you can see how many bad sectors ect there are on the drive. however that wouldnt cause the problem, since the sdd will block off bad cells/sectors in the drive.

Did you do a total format first?

OWC is the brand of the SSD? sounds shady to me man.

my only suggestion, is to find a program that can read the SMART data on the ssd. that way you can see how many bad sectors ect there are on the drive. however that wouldnt cause the problem, since the sdd will block off bad cells/sectors in the drive.

I'll boot into Windows off my HDD and see what I can do.

Back