• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how big of a resivor is big enough

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tft

I have a 400gph pump, and I plan to use a resivor enclosed in my case. Now I just built a plexiglass case, and I made sure that it was huge, and could fit a big resivor.

My question is, is bigger better when it comes to resivors?
If so, how big should you go before its just overkill?

My thought from reading all the articles is that if you have more water it will heat up more slowly, and you'l have better temps.

If anyone could just give me some guidance on this it would be very much appreciated

i would think big reservoirs are not bad....saying that mine is a fishtank and it is 10 gallons and that i have no radiator....

Reservoir size really doesn't matter. The larger the res the higher the heat capacity of the water, the longer it takes to heat up and cool down. Smaller res heats up faster, but also returns to idle temp faster. Its more a matter of choice. Unless you want to do like phiber and not use a rad, then you need a lot of capacity.

I'm using a 4X4X4 plastic electrical junction box for my reservoir and no problems. I don't think that a larger reservoir will give you any better cooling; I think that at most it just buffers the temp highs and lows. My main reason for a reservoir is to make it easier to bleed out the air in the system and have extral water in the system in case of an extremely small leak, like a pump seal starting to weep..

Back