• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P9x79 + Dominator Platinum question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Primusbumbum

Hey guys. I just need to know something - I am planning on building an enthusiast system in the near future and I need to know if I can benefit on the rams I am thinking of getting. Okay, the mobo I want is an Asus P9X79 Deluxe and I would like to pair it with the 'upcoming' Corsair Dominator Platinum 16Gb 3000Mhz. Now the mobo is only rated to read about 2400mhz OC rams. My question is, will the P9x79 be able to reach that speed since the memory is natively at that speed already?

I am not sure if what I am asking make sense. :)

Thanks guys.

it will probably be a hit or miss and may depend on a bios update,as the x79 are the most advanced boards out right now i would assume the ram would run on them if any board,tho i have to say the x79 boards seem to be a bit pickier then previous generations of boards.

I seriously doubt it. The SB-E IMC is better than the SB, but it's not that good.
That ram is aimed at BD or IB CPUs. Even they will probably have a tough time of it without subzero cooling.

It will be hard to find any cpu that will reach DDR3-3000 on more standard cooling. Most IMC need sub 0 temps to make more than 2800 ( many won't even pass 2600 ).
So far as I know there is low chance to make it work @3000 on X79 ( even to boot not saying about 24/7 stable settings ). This speed is designed to be something like WR breaker not daily gaming pc speed.
I won't even add all comments that it's waste of money etc ;)

The fastest CPU the X79 chipset can accomodate is the i7-3930K. The memory spec for the said i7 is DDR3-1066/1333/1600. I seriously doubt you will be able to go from Intel's max spec of 1600 all the way to 3000. 2000, or thereabouts, would be a reasonable OC. 3000? No way.

PS I wonder why RAM manufacturers come up with such insane speeds when they know fully well that these speeds can't work on present generation cpu's. Profits I guess.

Last edited:
there just looking for profit considering the minuet amount of actual difference that faster ram makes.

A Dominator 2000, or at most 2133, should more than suffice. The difference saved would be well spent on an SSD.

That ram is only made for extreme benchmarking not for 24/7 usage

In order to get RAM running faster than 2400-2600 you likely have to take a CPU sub-zero with extreme cooling. I can honestly say that you don't have to spend a thousand dollars on RAM, you can go get an 8GB or 16GB (if you honestly need that much RAM) for about $100 on newegg and be perfectly satisfied.

Last edited:
Back