• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seeking Backplate Removal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LDonnie

I just recently bought a used Giga. EP45T-USB3P and it had the backplate from the previous heatsink still attached via adhesive. (See pic below)

I killed my last motherboard trying to pry off a similar backplate. I am thinking that a heat gun would be good to soften then adhesive then remove the plate by hand.

Will the heat from the heat gun kill the motherboard? I am concerned about the heat messing with all the small chips that I know nothing about.

Any other suggestions on how to remove the super adhesive backplate is appreciated.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    596.9 KB · Views: 85
I was able to remove the backplate via a heatgun and twisting the backplate.

Now there is a sticky residue left on the motherboard. I am guessing 100% alcohol with a q-tip is the best option.

How bad would it be to use 91% alchohol? Because that is all I have laying around and it is 1:30 AM in the morning T.T

Back